Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best "GI style" 1911 mags?

Feedback Score

Your gun

You should probably get some reliability work done to your gun. Try sending it to EGW. Those guys are great to work with and very resonable price wise. Your gun shoud run on any of the mags you listed. Also, I'm assuming you tried different ammo.

Mule

Feedback Score
    Hello,

Check-Mate Industries makes mags for Colt. Any Genuine Colt® mag that has a "C" stamped on the base came from Check-Mate and they offer a true GI mag w/fully tapered-lips & dimpled follower. It's Part No. CM45-7-B-GI for Blued, and Part No. CM45-7-S-GI for Stainless. http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm

Metalform also makes mags for Colt, there the ones that have a "M" stamped on the base.
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Greg:
    I think you said you're taking the Vickers 1911 operator class at the end of this month. If so, that is the best time to get Larry to diagnose your magazines and feeding issue.

An easier way to fix this problem is to send me all of your 1911s and I'll shoot them a few years and work out the bugs for you, I won't charge you anything. I'm sure my Wilson magazines will work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about Meggar's Has anybody used their 1911 mags? I see CDNN has a pretty good price on them...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had a Charles Daly EMS that came with 2 Mecgars. They worked fine and looked exactly like the ACT/Novak mags I have. David

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy196 View Post
    If you insist on GI "style," then go with Metalform.

+ 1, I bought some metalforms at a gun show a few years ago. Never had a problem with them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    got some MecGar 7rnd mags from Midsouthshooter.com
    finish looks really nice and have been 200% reliable with my SA MilSpec.

I also got a couple of cheap mags from Sherluk.com but I dont know the manufacturer of those. They look like USGI mags and have been reliable so far. Nice mags for 7$.
    *** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Colt 613 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - Galil SAR - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Italy rocks!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Holy,

I tried following the advice from the 10-8 forum. I have 2 trips 8 and 2 trips 7 round converted mags. Both of them introduced FTF issues that didn't exist with my 7 rounders or my ACT style mags. I would run the ACT mags, but the feed lips are too damn fragile. I found two with cracked feed lips today!!

I have had good luck with the McCormick mags though.

GHB
    Oh. Now I'm glad that I said it worked for ME! My TRP was gently used when I got it, and it still had the two factory mags. One of them didn't drop free, which I thought must mean something bad, but didn't know what it was. Only after I saw the picture of the cracked feedlip base (if that's the right term) at 10-8 did I check my mag and that's what it was. In the trash it went.

If you're taking LAV's 1911 Operator class, I'm sure he'll set your gun straight.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Guys,

Who makes the best 7 round GI type mags? I seem to have NO luck with the fancy schmancy 8 round mags from Tripp and Wilson. I always have great performance from a bunch of old Springfield GI syle 7 rounders. I want to stock up, where do I get the best 7 round GI mags?

GHB
    Greg,

If you read through this thread, you'll find a great deal of information on 1911 magazines (and some to stay away from).
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=28256
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast