Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best "GI style" 1911 mags?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Thanks!

I ran my Novak's Colt through the 1911 class, but it will run with any mags. Larry looked at my GSP (which is the gun that was picky) and gave me some pointers.

It is sad that the ACT mags are still on the market. They really are POS in my opinion. I have about 10, and FOUR already have cracked feed lips. Jesus.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    You're most welcome, Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Checkmate Industries is the actual manufacturer of Colt magazines, and several other brands, including USGI M9 magazines. They were also a government contractor for ml-spec USGI 1911 magazines. They make the exact magazine in blue or stainless. I have run them extensively for years and they are excellent, true JMB design mags.

They also manufacture the Colt 8-rd mag, and sell their own brand of it, without the Colt logo.

Finally, they have a new enhanced 8-rd magazine which addresses many of the issues with 8-rd magazines and are currently being tested by a number of agencies. All metal follower with JMB-endorsed dimple, stainless construction mag tube, and skirted polymer basepad of a material that does not easily crack when dropped. I just picked up a dozen of them and will be shooting them up over the next few weeks.

But the 7-rd USGI are the best of that genre, and made completely in the USA.

http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm

Feedback Score
    Checkmate Industries is one of manufacturers for Colt's magazines. They also get them from MetalForm and OK Industries.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Guys,

Who makes the best 7 round GI type mags? I seem to have NO luck with the fancy schmancy 8 round mags from Tripp and Wilson. I always have great performance from a bunch of old Springfield GI syle 7 rounders. I want to stock up, where do I get the best 7 round GI mags?

GHB
    Have you tried Wilsons new ETM magazine. It is the only 8 round 1911 mag I really trust. They work good in both of my 45 1911's. (Wilson and Kimber Series 1) If not try Wilson 7 round mags.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyRoller View Post
    What has worked for me is:

Get Chip McCormick (Shooting Star) 8-round mags.

Rip out the innards.

Replace with Tripp Industries springs and followers.

Now you have 7-round mags that will probably work. I have had maybe one stoppage in the last year with my Springfield TRP using these mags. I borrowed my shooting buddy's regular 8-rounders a couple weeks ago and got a stoppage within a few rounds.

Tripp, I think, is now making their own complete mags and these may be the way to go. For the latest and greatest, check www.10-8forums.com which has the best list of 1911 FAQs I've ever seen.
    That is a good 7 round mag that Hilton Yam recommends.

I used them up until I was done testing the new Wilson ETM mags. Which I like better.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123