Page 151 of 153 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1522

Thread: Tactical bolt action rifle picture thread

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Not really tactical... but maybe it counts cause its FDE!

Solus 22" 6.5CM barreled action
    MDT ACC Elite
    3-18x MPO (will be upgraded later)
    Reptilla aus (new scope will get new mount)
    FCD 1210 brake
    YHM r9 w/keymount
    Harris notched swivel 6-9" bipod
    Control bridge and nvg mount are ordered.

The Solus + MDT looks like a hell of a setup, how is it so far?

Pic thread

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Now I’ve gone and done it.

Forgive the ancient Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50, it’s standing in until I wrap my cave man brain around all the new reticles crowding the market and make an educated decision.

I too have some NXS NF scopes that just won't die, so they get popped on guns here and there. No shame in a running an NXS. Nice rig.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    The Solus + MDT looks like a hell of a setup, how is it so far?

Pic thread

No action pics yet, but...
    The action is very smooth and quick
    Havent printed groups but my friend went 8:8 on a 700kyl immediately after sight-in. I went had no misses until the smallest target - 6" that I couldnt see. No accuracy complaints!

Chassis should be great for competitions. Its very comfortable. I just need a new scope and 9" bipod, maybe black friday.

Its 18.3lb which is a big step up from my 12lb precision AR.

You going to east coast night shoot?

Last edited by MegademiC; 10-16-23 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I too have some NXS NF scopes that just won't die, so they get popped on guns here and there. No shame in a running an NXS. Nice rig.

PB
    Thanks.

I kind of wish AI had spec’d a 1:7.5” or 1:7.75” for the AT-X in 6.5mm Creedmoor instead of the 1:8” I was hoping to run heavy bullets. My testing has only been at 100 yards and 200 yards for one load with no way to photograph on that day.

So far this barrel is displaying a preference for 120gr Hornady ELD-M.

I shot up the box of 147gr ELD-M trying to give it a chance, but most groups were not spectacular.

Nosler 140gr HPBT “Match” was also lackluster.

Finally once again Berger bullets don’t live up to the hype for me, 144gr Hybrid OTM’s were “meh”… at least it nets me nice Lapua brass!

Next up will be trying some 130gr Berger factory ammo, so I can build up more Lapua brass. I’m guessing groups will tighten up a bit closer to the 120gr Hornady loads.

In fairness to all of this ammo, my bench rest skills shooting groups are not great after years of not shooting for precision. I’ll get 3-4 rounds in a nice group and invariably manage to have some user error induced dispersion. I need to work harder at making sure my natural point of aim/position stays consistent.

The rifle is easy to get along with and I have no excuses for missing a target. Function has been 100% minus a part of the rivet holding the magazine follower to the spring popping off and getting in the locking lug abutments in the receiver locking ring. Easy enough to clear up, and won’t happen again.

I also have to observe that the barrel doesn’t seem to care what it’s fed, it will shoot to the same POI at 100 yards and 200 yards with everything, and nothing I’ve tried has shot “bad”; just nothing spectacular yet. All ammo tried so far appears more than capable of holding low enough dispersion that any steel target at my local range from 200, to 875 yards can be engaged at will if I can hold up my end of the bargain on dialing elevation, and holding or dialing for wind.

Need to acquire good reloading dies, and components. I’ll be able to learn a lot with this stick, and then re-barrel it myself. Kind of liberating knowing I can order up a new tube or two and not feel guilty at all about putting rounds on the current tube, no need to send the rifle off to a gunsmith to have a barrel chambered and installed and not see it again for months or even a year.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    No action pics yet, but...
    The action is very smooth and quick
    Havent printed groups but my friend went 8:8 on a 700kyl immediately after sight-in. I went had no misses until the smallest target - 6" that I couldnt see. No accuracy complaints!

Chassis should be great for competitions. Its very comfortable. I just need a new scope and 9" bipod, maybe black friday.

Its 18.3lb which is a big step up from my 12lb precision AR.

You going to east coast night shoot?

Haha thank the ORD media guys for those.

That's nice, some other factory chassis guns (D5Pro) don't have that great of actions from what I've seen. Glad Aero got it right!

You talking about the 700 KYL at Southington up against the wall? That rack is a tough one, especially those smaller 2. 15-18# is a sweet spot for bolt action 6.5s I think, especially over comparable gas guns. Heavy enough that's it's easy to shoot, but you still can move it around easily, use for a hunt if you had to, etc.

Man I'd like to but I'm traveling a ton in November, I need to iron some things out and see if I can make it up. Borrowed a PVS30 clip on last time I was up at Southington and learned a lot, actually got a couple hits on that 700 KYL up there, but our illuminator wasn't great at that distance and the only thing I could make out (thanks to the contrast) at that distance were the hanger straps. Aimed below that a bit and got lucky on some of the bigger pieces of steel. Having the illuminator on the other gun and having to talk that guy on target was an added complexity. Good times though.

I think these IPSCs were at 450-550 maybe? It got pretty tough after that.

Feedback Score
    That is awesome.
    We've been spending a lot of time on the 700kyl and 600+ steel with our 16 223 ars, so jumping behind this felt like cheating. I need to get on the 1k... but Im moving to eastern PA in 2 weeks. Ill be back in town for ECNS weekend.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    That is awesome.
    We've been spending a lot of time on the 700kyl and 600+ steel with our 16 223 ars, so jumping behind this felt like cheating. I need to get on the 1k... but Im moving to eastern PA in 2 weeks. Ill be back in town for ECNS weekend.
    Eastern Ohio and PA is great for that, varied terrain. And a fair amount of wind that makes it challenging from 700-1200 or so.

Had a buddy (who's a pilot) explain wind to me in a way that it makes a lot more sense in terms of its variability in this AO - 'think of wind like water and the terrain/trees like rocks'. Mentally that sheds some light for me on how the wind will vary and have different characteristics over the different elevations/terrain in the small hills we get here north of the smokies.

How far will you be from Ben Franklin Range in PA?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Eastern Ohio and PA is great for that, varied terrain. And a fair amount of wind that makes it challenging from 700-1200 or so.

Had a buddy (who's a pilot) explain wind to me in a way that it makes a lot more sense in terms of its variability in this AO - 'think of wind like water and the terrain/trees like rocks'. Mentally that sheds some light for me on how the wind will vary and have different characteristics over the different elevations/terrain in the small hills we get here north of the smokies.

How far will you be from Ben Franklin Range in PA?
    Im 2hr now, will be 5. Ill be near the Allentown area

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Im 2hr now, will be 5. Ill be near the Allentown area
    Nice, that place looks legit!

Feedback Score
    Just installed Timney Trigger into Mossberg MVP LC, and just had to go to the range.
    Will say trigger smooth, compared factory.

Page 151 of 153 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 LastLast