Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaving rounds chambered safer in some long guns than others?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm trying to break away from the empty chamber mentality on my Home D rifle. I'm just so used to the rack storage process, I worry that I'll fork up.

I used to worry about drop safe, but I read references to the mil's rough drop tests and it wasn't an issue. I'm converting to hot chamber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm trying to break away from the empty chamber mentality on my Home D rifle. I'm just so used to the rack storage process, I worry that I'll fork up.

I used to worry about drop safe, but I read references to the mil's rough drop tests and it wasn't an issue. I'm converting to hot chamber.
    I have thought about that but my "SOP" from hunting is to have an empty gun until I "go into action" so I habitually cycle the action on a gun.

The likelihood of me having to grab my gun from under the bed and not have time to cycle a round is much lower than for me to "assume" that there is a round in my shotgun when crow hunting and get a click, instead of a bang when I have birds diving in on me.

My first choice for investigative uses inside my house is my G19 and a handheld flashlight. The AR is my the alarm is going off/waiting in my bedroom for 1/2 hour until my local sherriff finally gets there weapon.

So I have tailored my manual of arms to my personal situation. YMMV.

If I were in a combat zone, I think I would have a different mindset.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My thought is that if I hear a bump in the night....

1. I don't want to give away my location and armed status before I have to.. or before I know what's going on.... and..

2. If I talk myself into just checking it out without a loud rack of the bolt, I fear confronting an immediate threat that leaves me no time for a bolt racking.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My thought is that if I hear a bump in the night....

1. I don't want to give away my location and armed status before I have to.. or before I know what's going on.... and..

2. If I talk myself into just checking it out without a loud rack of the bolt, I fear confronting an immediate threat that leaves me no time for a bolt racking.
    But the racking sound will scare them away.

Or does that only work with pump shotguns?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    But the racking sound will scare them away.

Or does that only work with pump shotguns?
    Round in the chamber, hit 'em in the eyes with 500 lumens from a Surefire, if they don't start running for the door, they will end up on the floor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123