Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington in 700 Long Action?

Feedback Score
    For premium accuracy that is a fair statement. I generally set the barrel back once my round count hits 1200 and can get about 600 more rounds of acceptable accuracy, but barrels need to be looked at as a expendable item like you would a good magazine.
    It really depends on your load though, I have had 308s poop the bed after 1800 cause I was loading so hot and I have a 204 ruger that has well over 2500 rounds through it and still shoots 1 moa. Like everything else ymmv, but I've generally found 6mm-6.5mm designed for long range aren't the most barrel friendly round

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Avtech850 View Post
    For premium accuracy that is a fair statement. I generally set the barrel back once my round count hits 1200 and can get about 600 more rounds of acceptable accuracy, but barrels need to be looked at as a expendable item like you would a good magazine.
    It really depends on your load though, I have had 308s poop the bed after 1800 cause I was loading so hot and I have a 204 ruger that has well over 2500 rounds through it and still shoots 1 moa. Like everything else ymmv, but I've generally found 6mm-6.5mm designed for long range aren't the most barrel friendly round
    If you only fire a 100 rounds a month, that's a barrel every year to 18 months. To me, and in my opinion, that can get costly. You have the price of a new barrel and the cost to install, plus load work up time and expense.

Feedback Score
    Yes it can get expensive, but I didn't get into shooting or guns to save money. As for the new load development, it is marginal if you buy the reamer used to cut your chamber. I honestly have a harder time when I have to switch to a new lot of powder or bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12