Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What 1911 can I buy that will work?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

What 1911 can I buy that will work?

I frequent this forum but rarely post. When I do, I come off as a troll because my posts are never constructive

I really want a 1911, but I want it to work and be around the $1000 price point. Looking for a 5" that's pretty basic. So instead of cluttering up other threads, what can I grab? What will work with HPs and FMJ? I'm not trying to run IPSC with it, I just want to own a 1911. I looked at the stickied First 1911 thread but was wondering if there is any new information.

There was a really good point made that we spend hours and hours debating buffers and springs and gas ports trying to get an AR to run optimally but 1911s take a bad rap because gunsmiths over tinker. Understandable.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-01-14 at 13:52.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I love my CRG - I haven't had any issues in the ~3000 rounds I've put through it. Plus the match grade barrel will be out shooting me for quite a while I'm sure. I did pay about $1300 though. If you just want a 1911, the basic Colt or SA GI models are hard to beat. I've seen them for around 7-800 recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

If your dead set on that $1000 limit, I would look into a Springfield Range Officer. They can be found for around $750 new and are a fantastic option for the money.

Range Officer: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...acp_5/_package

If you can jump a couple hundred over that $1000 limit, I would suggest the Springfield TRP.

TRP: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...5acp_5_package

My TRP has been 100% reliable with anything I've fed it. This goes for both JHP and FMJ ammo.
    Last edited by Nightstalker865; 09-01-14 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You know I've been looking at the RO pretty hard for it's 9mm flavor, I just wish it didn't come with adjustable sights.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You know I've been looking at the RO pretty hard for it's 9mm flavor, I just wish it didn't come with adjustable sights.

I'll make it easy for you to find one....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...9mm_5/_package

Buds also does great Mil pricing on them through their police supply side. I got both my RO and TRP for quite a bit less than those prices. It's worth looking into, if you decide to make the jump.

I had a 9mm RO earlier this year and absolutely loved it. I had planned on making it a comp gun, but realized I just don't have time to run many matches. I only put a couple hundred rounds through it before I sold it, but it ran flawlessly through them. I ran it with both the factory SA mags and some WC mags. It's a gun I regret selling, but it would have ended up collecting dust in the safe.
    Last edited by Nightstalker865; 09-01-14 at 14:31.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    I'll make it easy for you to find one....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...9mm_5/_package

Buds also does great Mil pricing on them through their police supply side. I got both my RO and TRP for quite a bit less than those prices. It's worth looking into, if you decide to make the jump.

I had a 9mm RO earlier this year and absolutely loved it. I had planned on making it a comp gun, but realized I just don't have time to run many matches. I only put a couple hundred rounds through it before I sold it, but it ran flawlessly through them. I ran it with both the factory SA mags and some WC mags. It's a gun I regret selling, but it would have ended up collecting dust in the safe.
    Damn, kinda wishing I hadn't seen that haha.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Smith and Wesson E series 1911's and Colt's Rail Gun are going to be your best options at that price range. The CRG will hold its value better.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    CRG is definitely the logical option.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Springfield Armory MC Operator deserves an honorable mention. They frequently go for around $1100 NIB and are spoken highly about from various 'smiths here and elsewhere whose opinions carry a some weight. My local shop got on in stock a while back and I'm seriously considering picking it up if the particular example he has looks like it was assembled properly.

Personally, I wouldn't buy ANY 1911 sight unseen. Slide to frame fit, rear slide overhang, beavertail fit, thumb safety engagement, etc. can vary wildly in these midrange 1911's. Typically, these things mean nothing when it comes to reliability and accuracy, but if given the choice, I'll obviously pick the example that has the fitment in these areas done to my liking. That's as much as I'll say before the "fit and finish" police show up. Granted, this can be difficult to do depending on the model in question. Springer Range Officers are all over the goddamned place, but in my area, it's rare for a shop to get in a CRG or MC Operator at all, let alone multiple examples.
    Last edited by opmike; 09-01-14 at 15:31.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've had great luck with various Springfield TRPs, including a regular TRP and a full rail Operator. The regular ones can be had for around a grand with a little bit of searching
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast