Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What 1911 can I buy that will work?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What about the Colt XSE series?

If they can make a factory gun run right, why is the shooting world filled with tales of 1911s jamming? Why can't Kimber make a gun that works??
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-01-14 at 16:46.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Recently been doing my own research, around a thousand I have been liking the mc operator, then the colt rail gun.

Saw trp 's for under $1200

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have a Springfield TRP that I bought new about 6-7 years ago. Have not had an issue with it that was not user induced(Had a habit of wanting to ride the slide home during reloads at one point, as long as I let it slam home on its own not a problem), and the only thing I changed out has been the two piece guide rod for a Wilson GI guide rod and a Wilson buffer spring cap. Well that and recoils springs every couple K rounds. Can be found used for under $1K if you are open to used, almost bought another TRP earlier this year for $750 locally, but alas I did not have the cash But on the up side it means that I have more reason to buy a railed model(MC operator is looking mighty nice) in the near future.

The Springfield Loaded, RO, and TRP are three in Springfield's line that those who's opinions I actually listen to feel are very good values.

That said, it does depend on your need/use of the pistol.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If they can make a factory gun run right, why is the shooting world filled with tales of 1911s jamming? Why can't Kimber make a gun that works??
    "1911" isn't some single model put out by a single manufacturer. You need to be looking at the makes and models and individual examples of each. Colt Rail Guns (basically an XSE with a rail and cerakote for the non-stainless models), Springer Operators, semi-customs like Wilson Combat and Nighthawk, full customs from quality smiths, etc. are less likely to be problematic than guns like Para, Kimber, etc. for the same reason 6920s, BCMs, and Noveskes are less likely to be problematic than a DPMS or Bushmaster. Some of it's quality of materials, some of it's quality of manufacturing and assembly.

Also, while I'm not trying to draw a direct parallel, you DO realize that gun forums all over the internet are filled with people complaining about problems with all kinds of firearms, not just 1911s, right?

I'd spend less time wondering why people have "jamming" 1911s and more time wondering (assuming you're in the market for one) how particular examples you're looking at run under heavy use and what it will take to keep it running at the same level for the life of the handgun. There are obvious commonalities across the entire line, but it helps to be focused in your goals I think.
    Last edited by opmike; 09-01-14 at 17:09.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've been very happy with my Colt Rail Gun. It's at about 5K malf free (mostly reloads using Zero 230gr JHP's). I'd also consider a Loaded Springfield and removing the ILS, or a S&W E-Series. I also have a S&W 1911PD that's malf free, but with fewer rounds through it. As a matter of fact, I bought it used here on EE.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Sig, STI, S&W, Ruger, even Armscor (Rock Island, etc) all make reliable, and accurate 1911's. There are many out there in, and under your price point. .

Feedback Score
    I was recent attendee at Larry Vickers 1911 operator class and his simple answer in off the shelf guns was colt or Springfield said not to even bother with anything else. Not saying some others will work just fine or that colt or SA does not slip out a lemon here or there- just that these are the most likely to be right straight out of the box.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Sig, STI, S&W, Ruger, even Armscor (Rock Island, etc) all make reliable, and accurate 1911's. There are many out there in, and under your price point. .
    Several of those have a lot of evidence to the contrary.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    My opinion, go with a 5" Springfield.
    It may or may not be reliable out of the box, but if not,
    Springfield has the best customer service in the industry.

Myself, I'd get a Colt as I know a good smith that owes me a favor!
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Since OP's budget is "around" $1000, I would suggest a Colt repro. I'm a 9mm guy, but everyone should have at least one classic 1911 and they don't get more traditional for the price than an O1918 Black Army Colt. They can be had for not much over 1K. Gorgeous and practical.

Good pic of original and repro. Not mine.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast