Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What 1911 can I buy that will work?

Feedback Score
    Another vote for any (newer) 1911 built by Colt.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I'd go with any 5" Colt in 45. Personally, I like a base model O1991.

I've been impressed with Colt's quality these days. I have two 2012s, and a 2014 that are awesome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    I'd go with any 5" Colt in 45. Personally, I like a base model O1991.

I've been impressed with Colt's quality these days. I have two 2012s, and a 2014 that are awesome.
    +1 I've purchased an O2991 (.38 Super), an O1911WC (Wiley Clapp Government), and an O4840WC (Wiley Clapp Commander) in the past year and they are all well-made, accurate, and reliable pistols. I'd buy an O1991 if my mitts weren't so big (although it's not been an issue with my O2991, thanks to the .38 Super's mild recoil).

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I frequent this forum but rarely post. When I do, I come off as a troll because my posts are never constructive

I really want a 1911, but I want it to work and be around the $1000 price point. Looking for a 5" that's pretty basic. So instead of cluttering up other threads, what can I grab? What will work with HPs and FMJ? I'm not trying to run IPSC with it, I just want to own a 1911. I looked at the stickied First 1911 thread but was wondering if there is any new information.

There was a really good point made that we spend hours and hours debating buffers and springs and gas ports trying to get an AR to run optimally but 1911s take a bad rap because gunsmiths over tinker. Understandable.
    Two ways to go. Buy a WC or buy a Colt and then send it to someone like Jason Burton to work over. There are of course lots of other great 1911's, but I am not overly knowledgeable on them.

C4

Feedback Score
    I've had great results so far with my 9 month old Colt .38 Super Auto. Has run 100% since new with my reloads and factory ammo. Except for that round where I loaded the primer backwards... Very accurate too. Thinking about a high round count endurance test but I have no reason to abuse the thing.

Springfield has great customer service every time I've had to use it. Good product, great service, if you have a problem they'll make it right.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There is no single brand or model that someone can tell you to buy. 1911s are like people. Every single one is different and unique.

I'd echo the others who suggested a model that has good resale value incase it turns out to be a lemon.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Shop around, but at around $1K, I've had good experience putting a lot of lead down-range with Colt and STI products. And actually the STI Spartan is a solid pistol that will leave you quite a bit of money left for ammo.

Feedback Score
    ...... Was that chuck rogers on p1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I frequent this forum but rarely post. When I do, I come off as a troll because my posts are never constructive

I really want a 1911, but I want it to work and be around the $1000 price point. Looking for a 5" that's pretty basic. So instead of cluttering up other threads, what can I grab? What will work with HPs and FMJ? I'm not trying to run IPSC with it, I just want to own a 1911. I looked at the stickied First 1911 thread but was wondering if there is any new information.

There was a really good point made that we spend hours and hours debating buffers and springs and gas ports trying to get an AR to run optimally but 1911s take a bad rap because gunsmiths over tinker. Understandable.
    Are you looking for a stainless or blued pistol? What caliber?

To stay inside your price range, I'd recommend you have a look at Colt, S&W (external extractor) and perhaps Springfield Armory. I owned those and they work pretty good right out of the box. After cleaning of course.

PM me if interested and I'll look up some prices.
    Last edited by JJEH; 09-02-14 at 14:47.
    Jorge

Feedback Score
    Colt, Remington, Ruger, SA, STI, Sig all make nice reliable 1911's that are under 1k. These companies manufacture firearms are expected to go bang every-time the trigger is pulled.

My 2 cents would be to buy a brand new pistol and not a used one (unless you have armorer skills).
    Owners of 1911's and AR style rifles feel a need to tinker with these weapons, screw them up, then sell them when they are not smart enough to get them to work like the manufacturer intended them too ..

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast