I assume most Washington state shooters are aware, but if not, we have two critical state ballot initiatives to vote on in November. Please inform yourself and vote on these initiatives, we absolutely need to be involved in preserving our 2A rights in Washington state, where they are constantly under attack.

I-594 (http://wagunresponsibility.org/about-594/)
This is a gun control measure, backed by large out-of-state donations from Michael Bloomberg, in-state donations the Microsoft triumvirate of local boys (Gates, Balmer, Allen), and other gun control groups. It is ostensibly a "reasonable" measure that is supposed to be about background checks for all gun purchases including private transfers. However if you read the actual initiative text carefully (rather than just skimming the "legislative analysis" linked on the above landing page), you'll see that this is in effect a backdoor registration scheme that will (a) not stop criminals from obtaining firearms, and will (b) massively increase the number of lawful gun owners who accidentally run afoul of the law by mistakenly "temporarily transferring" a firearm to a friend to shoot while n the woods, hunting, etc. This law will absolutely not reduce firearm access by committed/career criminals, but it will enhance further government monitoring of firearm ownership and will increase the number of lawful gun owners who will run afoul of the law through no fault of their own. It is simply a wedge strategy: an early stage of legislation whose goal is to move a step closer to registration and confiscation schemes.

Recommendation: vote no on I-594. It may sound harmless on the surface, and that is how it is being sold and presented to low information voters. It is actually extremely subversive of our 2nd Amendment rights in WA State and if passed, this approach will be used by gun control advocates to extend their strategy in other states.

I-591 (http://wagunrights.org/)
This is a defensive measure by pro gun-rights groups in WA state that essentially wants to (a) limit background checks to nothing beyond the current federally imposed system, (b) prevent WA state from intruding into temporary firearm loans to friends or in-laws while you are shooting, and (c) prevent WA state from engaging in heavy handed monitoring and confiscation tactics to enforce this or future laws.

Recommendation: vote yes on I-591. Nothing in this measure prevents basic background checks from occurring now or in the future, but it does protect our fundamental 2A rights and protects against the many excesses of the new I-594 law, if passed.

Interesting possible outcome: It has been speculated that WA voters (not the sharpest knives in the drawer :-) ), may well pass BOTH I-594 and I-591. That would put the two new laws in direct conflict, which would then probably have to be resolved in the courts. The best possible outcome is that I-594 fails and I-591 passes. What I expect to happen is that both will pass, and there will be some interesting court battles ahead.