Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comp on defensive 308?

Feedback Score
    I do have a 12ga for "bump in the night" scenarios, I was more envisioning my MWS as an outdoor perimeter weapon. I don't have grand fantasies about SHTF but I do have anywhere from 5-600 yds outside of my house that I could take hostile fire from. The likelihood of this is slim unless something drastically changed but I do believe in optimizing my tools as well as my mindset and training as much as possible. I know I need more training and I seek it when I can and my wallet allows. I guess I am more interested in a defensive role outdoors. Being a civilian limits my response greatly in that scenario but I do contemplate such things.

Marlton, Evesham Township, New Jersey USA
    Feedback Score
    Suppressors and flash suppressors are basically verboten here in Jersey, but I have a BABC on my POF P308 Recon and am very happy with it's performance. I have a set of MSA electronic ear pro to save what's left of my hearing.
    Last edited by specopsscout; 09-08-14 at 13:43.
    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear ran a Battlecomp on his MWS. Wasn't any more noticeable than a Flash Hider (concussion wise) when you were shooting the gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    specopsscout and Markm, thanks for your Input! I am really on the fence on this. The MWS is a hell of a rifle but I really think (and wish) that it had a longer gas system like the KAC to mitigate recoil. I'm not down on the LMT system by any means and it is the nicest rifle I've ever owned. Just weighing the options. I do appreciate all input!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faultline View Post
    specopsscout and Markm, thanks for your Input! I am really on the fence on this. The MWS is a hell of a rifle but I really think (and wish) that it had a longer gas system like the KAC to mitigate recoil. I'm not down on the LMT system by any means and it is the nicest rifle I've ever owned. Just weighing the options. I do appreciate all input!
    You could try a heavier buffer (XH 8 oz buffer) but they are not budget friendly at 125 bucks, and to be honest with you I didn't notice much of a difference.

I think your best and cheapest solution would be to reload or find someone to reload you some "light" 308 rounds (110-145 gr.) with a light charge for CQB distances. This would help control recoil and would keep flash down. The problem would be it would most likely have a different POI then your full power loads.

I've used a 125gr. reduced load for years in my 30-06 for whitetail. It helped reduce over-penetration and made follow up shots faster with reduced recoil.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    I have been running a PWS FSC30 on my Bushmaster 16 inch 308 for about a year. I set it up with a Vltor RE-10/A5SR receiver extension, H3 buffer and Armalite recoil spring. It has a medium contour barrel, quad rail and a 1-4 for a total weight of 10.75 lbs. The combination shoots very flat and felt recoil is light. .An MWS with the FSC30 should be similar. I also think that a 308 indoors would be brutal with or w/o a comp!!!!!
    Last edited by Bushytale; 09-09-14 at 06:58. Reason: add last sentence
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faultline View Post
    Don't get too wrapped up in the gas system length thing.
    Our port position is one part of a systematic approach, it is not the only way to get to the destination.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    Im not convinced the difference between a compensated and uncompensated 308 indoors will be significant enough to matter. Either way you are effectively setting off a flash bang with each shot indoors. I keep peltors strapped to my HD gun.

Rick
    I take it you've never been at an indoor range where somebody is shooting a comped rifle... especially a shorter one like most of these guys are talking about using. The difference is absolutely noticeable. Without ear pro it is the difference between ringing your bell for a little while, and bleeding out your ears with major permanent hearing damage. I've never done the latter myself, but I've seen it happen to guys who were exposed to that level of noise unprotected.

I used to have a FSC30 on one of my .308s (a 18.5"). I took it on a hog hunt and took several shots sans ear pro... never again! That's what caused me to go back to FHs on anything that might get taken into the field, whether hunting or 2A. The FSC is supposed to be one of the less obnoxious comps too, like the battlecomp. I didn't notice much difference when I had my plugs in, but there is definitely a much sharper pressure wave with the comp. there's really no way around it if it does what it's supposed to do.
    Last edited by henschman; 09-09-14 at 08:26.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't get too wrapped up in the gas system length thing.
    Our port position is one part of a systematic approach, it is not the only way to get to the destination.
    Good info, much appreciated. If I had the scratch I'd have a KAC, no doubt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    I take it you've never been at an indoor range where somebody is shooting a comped rifle... especially a shorter one like most of these guys are talking about using. The difference is absolutely noticeable. Without ear pro it is the difference between ringing your bell for a little while, and bleeding out your ears with major permanent hearing damage. I've never done the latter myself, but I've seen it happen to guys who were exposed to that level of noise unprotected.

I used to have a FSC30 on one of my .308s (a 18.5"). I took it on a hog hunt and took several shots sans ear pro... never again! That's what caused me to go back to FHs on anything that might get taken into the field, whether hunting or 2A. The FSC is supposed to be one of the less obnoxious comps too, like the battlecomp. I didn't notice much difference when I had my plugs in, but there is definitely a much sharper pressure wave with the comp. there's really no way around it if it does what it's supposed to do.
    I appreciate your assumptions, but I in fact have. Indoors a rifle going off (be it 5.56 or 7.62) without hearing protection was indiscernible to me. Both hurt badly. Only when I was wearing ear protection was the difference noticeable. Afterwards I began wearing Peltors full time while outside the wire.

Rick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast