Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I see no point in squatting "atg". Breaking parallel is sufficient in my opinion....and most physical therapists will tell you the lower you go, the more sheer force you are placing on the knee.

The number one wrong thing I see people doing while squatting is not starting movement at the hips.

His lifting shoes are helping him get that deep also..
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    There's no particular reason one needs to squat ATG to benefit from squats however. As one who used to do it as a matter of ego more than benefit per se in my younger days, I have come to appreciate the fact different people have different mechanics, flexibility, goals, etc and there's no absolutes in the need for ATG style squatting and benefits.

Agreed (not that I have the necessary credentials to justifiably disagree with one Mr. Will Brink ), ATG is not necessary to successfully activate the appropriate muscle groups.

As Alan said in the video from the OP, if the crease of your hip drops below your knee cap, it's a good squat. That's personally what I aim for, and I've had good results so far.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I did a reset- dropped my highest set amount by 10%, and I got a lot lower.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice squats. These worked better for me though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqb8aaEqS2Q

Feedback Score
    Look into frank Zane's Leg Blaster. Safe and better way to squat

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyle55 View Post
    Look into frank Zane's Leg Blaster. Safe and better way to squat
    I just did, hadn't ever heard of it before. It's interesting.

Reminds me of a squat machine we have at my gym. Its movement very closely replicates the squat movement.

Feedback Score
    The squat is one great foundational barbell exercise. I am pleased I can still do them as I approach age 56.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I believe I said it in another thread but for those of concerned about your knees/hips. I highly suggest learning how to box squat to a parallel or just below parallel box and do so properly. Box squatting is great

Feedback Score
    Heh, just got home from doing legs a couple hours ago and then I see this thread for the first time.

Personally on squats I go parallel/just below parallel, but never ATG. At that point I feel like I cannot go any lower, could just be a flexibility problem but my leg muscles are where I want them so in the end its all about goals. If you're seeing the results doing what you're doing, keep doing them, if not change!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Problem fixed!

I watched a Rippetoe youtube squat technique vid; I switched to low-bar squats, and I can now get a lot lower. I guess I don't have the body geometry for high-bar squats.

The vid in the OP helped too. Thrall is a pretty funny dude; I love his list of recommended supplements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUXfVUaZDtU
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Problem fixed!

I watched a Rippetoe youtube squat technique vid; I switched to low-bar squats, and I can now get a lot lower. I guess I don't have the body geometry for high-bar squats.

The vid in the OP helped too. Thrall is a pretty funny dude; I love his list of recommended supplements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUXfVUaZDtU
    Good to hear! Was there a major component you changed to achieve depth other than bar position?

I just checked out a few of Ripptoe's viedos. I like how this one breaks down the geometry of the squat, can't say I've seen that done before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyN1...fCoHhToytvAboy

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast