Thread: Armor questions

Feedback Score

Armor questions

I just bought a mayflower apc and a haley D3 chest rig and I have been looking for armor to go in it. I have managed to acquire a set of ceradyne ballistic upgrade plates but i need to get plate backers for them as they are not stand alone plates. So my main questions I know that they are IV plates anyone ever seen these plates?

Also other than X-ray is there a good way to check them? These plates are old but look to never have been worn. the only way I have seen plates being check was putting them on the edge of the table and pressing on them to hear for any noise. That is how they checked my plated before I deployed and it just seemed wrong to me.

Would it be better to buy a set of used esapi plates or a new set of cheaper ceramic plates or even some ar500 plates vs buying the soft armor backers?

And this might be a dumb question but do plates go bad? These have a manufacture date of 0401 not sure if that is 2004 or 2001 but either way they are old

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are two good threads on the first page of this subforum right now, which you may want to read. I believe that ceramic plates have a shelf life of about 10 years, not accounting for any potential damage that may have resulted from a fall or rough handling. Even if the 04/01 code means 2004 (it probably means 2001), you were taken for a ride, no matter how cheap they were. I wouldn't wear them, personally.

FWIW, I have a set of AR500 and I'm about to pull the trigger on Armour Wear 3+ front and back.

Feedback Score
    I didn't pay anything for the plates. I just wasn't sure if they go bad or not.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I believe that ceramic plates have a shelf life of about 10 years...

Where did you get that info? Maybe I missed something but I've never heard that and I don't understand how plates could go bad.

FWIW, I have a set of AR500 and I'm about to pull the trigger on Armour Wear 3+ front and back.
    How likely is it that your life will count on them? Personally, armor is one of those things I don't mess with - new, from a certified company, and well-known vendor. Anything else, and I probably wouldn't use it.
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-12-14 at 01:45.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The only thing I will be using the vest for is training i doubt my unit will let me wear something l like this

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Checking for damaged plates:
    Hold opposing corners.
    "Twist" the plate, feeling for movement/crunching/grinding.
    Repeat on the other side.

Of equal importance to plate degradation, soft bakers also have a lifespan, which is very short if they get wet.
    The issue is if water gets inside the cover.

I would only get steel plates if they had a good anti-spall.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com