Thread: Looking Into Network Administration Certs

Feedback Score

Looking Into Network Administration Certs

I'm considering getting into some Network Admin courses or certs. My current employer may have some opportunities in the near future. I'm comfortable with Windows and I'm an above-average user, but far from a pro. The local community college has their own networking cert, but they also offer the Cisco CCNA program which consists of 4 classes at 5 credit hours each.

I have a BFA, completely unrelated field. Adding the CCNA certs would potentially help me move into a better position within my current employer but also add a marketable skill to my resume.

I have a very rudimentary understanding of what that type of role entails, but I'm seeking input on what entry-level Network Admin positions usually entail. Should I look at different NA programs? I've looked at some job listings but some are cryptic in nature and I feel like I need the layman's version. I don't know, what I don't know and I know there are at least a few IT professionals here. What am I looking into?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by .46caliber; 09-09-14 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Will the training be "your time on your dime?"

Who is going to mentor you are work? How much of their time will you get?

Once you have these skills, will there be a salary review?

You can rent time online with a CCNA lab, but do you have the space and time to build a home lab? You can build a home lab for 200-300 bucks with used equipment on ebay. That was what I did the last time I renewed my Cisco certs.

I have been a IT geek for longer than I care to think about. It's not really a career I recommend anymore. You have to be able to do the work of 2-3 people, or it will simply be cheaper to outsource you to India or some other place. If you like working a 40-hour week, and can't stand working nights and weekends, don't enter the field.

Just being honest with you.

The most important question to ask is can you train yourself, and can you retrain yourself every 2-4 years?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Will the training be "your time on your dime?"

Who is going to mentor you are work? How much of their time will you get?

Once you have these skills, will there be a salary review?

You can rent time online with a CCNA lab, but do you have the space and time to build a home lab? You can build a home lab for 200-300 bucks with used equipment on ebay. That was what I did the last time I renewed my Cisco certs.

I have been a IT geek for longer than I care to think about. It's not really a career I recommend anymore. You have to be able to do the work of 2-3 people, or it will simply be cheaper to outsource you to India or some other place. If you like working a 40-hour week, and can't stand working nights and weekends, don't enter the field.

Just being honest with you.

The most important question to ask is can you train yourself, and can you retrain yourself every 2-4 years?
    What he said, I was in at the very start of IP, my first router learned was a CGS. My trips to India every year tell you where the future is.......you are 10 years too late for networks. Cyber Security is the place to be now.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-09-14 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    Thanks very much for the replies. Good to know about those positions as a whole. With these roles dying and be stretched stateside, if I move forward it would mostly be for the need inside the current company and not for entering the field at large.

SS, it would be on my time, but may not be on my dime. The company will reimburse for education that fills a need. Salary would be adjusted accordingly for the new role. I would probably do the CCNA program at a local community college that I assume has an up to date lab in order to be able to offer the training.

The company is a smallish family operation that has exploded in the last few years. The guys that are currently building and maintaining the network are software, database and web developers by background and they've taken the network aspect on as second hats. Dividing their attention is a less than optimal solution for both fronts. Mentorship is an unknown. I don't know how knowledgeable any of them are on the subject. The culture of the company has a strong element of "learn as we go."

I very much appreciate the honesty and candor. I'm not committed or invested in this yet, so it's very beneficial to know these things before I decide to act.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by .46caliber; 09-09-14 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If you do want to get into security, networking is a good place to start. To quote a smart lady I know: "The truth is on the wire."

Learn how protocols REALLY work. Learn open-source security tools. Become a wizard with Wireshark.

I have won a lot of beers by saying "wanna bet?" and starting to do traces.

But HKGuns is correct, security is a quickly growing arena where demand is greatly exceeding the supply. But the retraining curve is even steeper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If you do want to get into security, networking is a good place to start. To quote a smart lady I know: "The truth is on the wire."

Learn how protocols REALLY work. Learn open-source security tools. Become a wizard with Wireshark.

I have won a lot of beers by saying "wanna bet?" and starting to do traces.

But HKGuns is correct, security is a quickly growing arena where demand is greatly exceeding the supply. But the retraining curve is even steeper.
    Security would be a natural progression due to where the company is and the rate of growth.

I don't know how security folks do it. Perhaps my ignorance is showing, but it seems like it would be an unending game of lightning-fast whack-a-mole.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    Security would be a natural progression due to where the company is and the rate of growth.

I don't know how security folks do it. Perhaps my ignorance is showing, but it seems like it would be an unending game of lightning-fast whack-a-mole.

Yes it would be a great foundation, I hire lots of folks with network backgrounds. Yes it can be like whack-a-mole, except for the very serious stuff.