Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School me on an M1 Garand...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Using a muzzle & throat erosion gauge is much more accurate than using a bullet. Don't worry about getting a Garand with matching parts. When they were re-arsenaled, the were taken apart, the parts inspected and put in different piles. They were then reassembled from parts that passed inspection without worrying which rifle they originally came from. Before buying any Garand, remove the trigger group an reinstall it. If it takes very little pressure to snap the trigger guard back into place, it will need stock work. Don't pick up any Garand by the forward or upper handguard. If it's been accurized for match shooting, it could damage the work done in that area. Even if it's not, it's still considered bad form among Garand guys. Unless you buy a Garand that you know has been recently refurbished, plan on replacing every spring as cheap insurance. A leather 1907 sling is better than a web aling
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

School me on an M1 Garand...

While you are shopping at the CMP website, also get some of the M1 Ball ammo. The HXP ammo is good stuff and the brass can be reloaded.

I always run an adjustable gas plug in my "range" Garand, it makes collecting spent brass easier.

Are you going to get one in 30-06 or 308? Just saying, if you already own and reload for one of those cartridges (and not the other) might be convenient to get it in a chambering you already reload-for.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 09-16-14 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    I have bought four M1's from the CMP over the years, and still own three of them. I prefer AR's, but the M1 is still quite a bit of fun. All of mine have been service grade, and I have not been disappointed with the function or accuracy. There are sometimes dents, dings, and these days, you might have a mixed parts rifle. None of that matters if what you want is a shooter. What do I care if the serial numbers don't match, so long as the rifle reliably puts rounds into the target at the ranges I can shoot? Personally, if you want an M1, I would grab one from the CMP, order a couple of boxes of greek HPX and never look back. They are not going to get cheaper, and I don't think you will be unhappy with the result.

Feedback Score

What do I care if the serial numbers don't match, so long as the rifle reliably puts rounds ....
    There is no such thing on a M1 Garand as "matching serial numbers". The only S/N is on the heel of the receiver.

All other numbers on parts are Drawing numbers , and the closest you can get is to research them to find if they are in the "Correct" range for the rifle's S/N.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 09-16-14 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    What SurplusShooter said ^^^

I've got a CMP Service Grade. Its been a great rifle and even took second place in my first John Garand match. Unless you need to have a collectors piece you can still find them at decent prices for now. I haven't shot mine in a while. I might take it out to dinner tonight

Feedback Score
    That's fine. I will worry about the numbers matching even less on my shooters, then!

Feedback Score

Here's a slow-motion animated GIF of one of my Garands firing:
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 09-16-14 at 15:59.

Feedback Score
    I've got the CMP .308 Special. Great rifle. It's accurate, handles well and has a lot personality.

You can enter CMP matches and they help your shooting skills. Lots of fun.
    You can also use it for fighting if necessary - it's capabilities and effectiveness are well documented.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SurplusShooter View Post
    There is no such thing on a M1 Garand as "matching serial numbers". The only S/N is on the heel of the receiver.

All other numbers on parts are Drawing numbers , and the closest you can get is to research them to find if they are in the "Correct" range for the rifle's S/N.
    That is a process in itself. Scott Duff puts out a few excellent books that are extremely beneficial in doing this. I did this several years ago and completed my data sheet on my 1943 SA M1 Garand. I was very happy with what I found.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for even more great advice and information! I definitely think I am going to go the CMP route soon. I am way for the week for work, but I will order when I get back. As far as caliber goes, .30-06. Why not get it in the caliber it was made in? Sure .308 might make more sense shooting, but like I said, I want a piece of history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast