Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good decision??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    Does it give much more stopping power than 9mm? Or enough to make a really difference
    Oh god you went there...

I guess it's better then the everything vs 45 crowd.

... Sitting back to watch the blood bath.
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies. - C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Lol couldn't resist

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't want any technical crap I don't understand lol. Just yes or no

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Do a little looking around and you'll see the reasons on this forum. While I personally have never had an issue with the XD platform, the XDM platform I personally have seen several issues with. Enough so that I am generally skiddish around XDMs for anything other than range toys. Of the group you mentioned the 21 would likely be the best option of the three, in my opinion. And this comes from someone who generally is not a Glock fan so......
    I can't really find any topics on the xdm much. Can u elaborate

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    I can't really find any topics on the xdm much. Can u elaborate
    Don't take this the wrong way at all, but with some of the questions here are you new to firearms?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    New to pistols and ars. Rifles and shotguns no.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Okay, well let's start there. You already bought the Colt, which was an excellent decision. That rifle will serve you very well, and you will have no regrets in purchasing it. When it comes to handguns, especially if you are new to them, you need to address what you want a handgun for, and what you want it to do. With little experience, I personally suggest going to a range where they have firearms rentals. Start with 9mm. It's cheap, recoil is incredibly manageable, and usually it has a high standard capacity. The Glock 19 is a great option, and usually every range has one. Start with striker fired handguns, Glock, M&P and even Springfield XD's if you want. Walther and HK also have some fantastic striker-fired handguns out there, but may be for difficult to find at local ranges. Striker-fired handguns are more simple, and easier to learn the triggers, especially for new handgun shooters.

If you don't like the 9mm, move up to the .40. The issue with new handgun shooters and the .40S&W, is the fact that it is a higher pressure round, and leaves the shooter with more felt recoil. Harder to stay on target, and accuracy does suffer due to this. Like I said though, it's usually a most prevalent problem in new handgun shooters. It can be overcome with practice and experience though. 45 is much more forgiving to shoot, with less felt recoil and less "snap" to it then the .40. With anything though, YMMV, and I am by no means an expert whatsoever.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Okay, well let's start there. You already bought the Colt, which was an excellent decision. That rifle will serve you very well, and you will have no regrets in purchasing it. When it comes to handguns, especially if you are new to them, you need to address what you want a handgun for, and what you want it to do. With little experience, I personally suggest going to a range where they have firearms rentals. Start with 9mm. It's cheap, recoil is incredibly manageable, and usually it has a high standard capacity. The Glock 19 is a great option, and usually every range has one. Start with striker fired handguns, Glock, M&P and even Springfield XD's if you want. Walther and HK also have some fantastic striker-fired handguns out there, but may be for difficult to find at local ranges. Striker-fired handguns are more simple, and easier to learn the triggers, especially for new handgun shooters.

If you don't like the 9mm, move up to the .40. The issue with new handgun shooters and the .40S&W, is the fact that it is a higher pressure round, and leaves the shooter with more felt recoil. Harder to stay on target, and accuracy does suffer due to this. Like I said though, it's usually a most prevalent problem in new handgun shooters. It can be overcome with practice and experience though. 45 is much more forgiving to shoot, with less felt recoil and less "snap" to it then the .40. With anything though, YMMV, and I am by no means an expert whatsoever.
    Thanks man. I've shot handguns, a lot of 9s and some 45 but no 40s. Mostly glocks

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just never owned one or extensively used one

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You made a good purchase with the 6920.

Of your 45 caliber pistol choices, I would go with the M&P.

If asked my opinion about caliber though, I would go with a 9mm. I've carried a 9mm for the last 23 years as an inter-city LEO. The difference in pistol calibers firing the same tech bullets isn't enough to get concerned about. The cost of 9mm vs. 45 caliber ammo is significant though.

In 9mm, I would look at a Glock 17 and an M&P9. Try to shoot both at the same time. Buy whichever gun YOU shoot better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast