Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current state of 5.56x45 AK Mags

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Current state of 5.56x45 AK Mags

Too bad Templar isn't around any more, this question is totally in his lane. Anyway what are the current options for 5.56 AK mags. So far I'm only pulling up the Bulgy M-74N waffle mags which run about $40 and good ol' Circle 10s at about $45. There appear to be clear and black versions of each. Is there a quantifiable difference between the two makes? What about the color of the plastic (clear or smoke)? If one were to stock up what would be the best bet? Are there steel 5.56 mags out there somewhere that I don't know about?

Feedback Score
    I'm not entirely sure about what mags are currently available but it might be a good idea to wait until FB Radom's USA division is set up and released the Beryl Archer. That might be a good way to go about it. Hope this helps.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Too bad Templar isn't around any more, this question is totally in his lane. Anyway what are the current options for 5.56 AK mags. So far I'm only pulling up the Bulgy M-74N waffle mags which run about $40 and good ol' Circle 10s at about $45. There appear to be clear and black versions of each. Is there a quantifiable difference between the two makes? What about the color of the plastic (clear or smoke)? If one were to stock up what would be the best bet? Are there steel 5.56 mags out there somewhere that I don't know about?
    Speaking in general terms, you dont want any clear/smoke AK mags. The polymer is more brittle and they lack metal reinforcement.

The main issue with 5.56 AK mags is that 5.56 AKs/variants were built by many nations (China, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Poland, Russia, Romania and more) all to different standards. Unlike 7.62x39 AKs, magazines are not standardized across the board. While I'm confident I could make about any 5.56 mag from nation X work in a rifle from nation Y, given enough time and work, that's probably not the answer you're looking for.

So I suppose the real question is, what 5.56 AK do you have (or planning to purchase)? That is really what I need to know before firing off a list of magazine options.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Go circle 10.

Every once in a while some polish beryl mags in 5.56 will pop up in an EE for $25 to $35 ea.

All good choices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    So I suppose the real question is, what 5.56 AK do you have (or planning to purchase)? That is really what I need to know before firing off a list of magazine options.
    +1, Dave_M summed it up. The rifle dictates the magazine options. So what are you thinking about doing?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Thank you for the responses. The rifle is an Arsenal SLR-106CR

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Thank you for the responses. The rifle is an Arsenal SLR-106CR
    I asummed, but now that I know, my previous statement still stands.

Feedback Score
    Be warned, the SLR-106 series rifles are very hit and miss. I had a 106UR and a 106CR, both of which were unreliable. Arsenal couldn't fix either and eventually refunded most of my money. Arsenal's customer service is F- horrible. Personally, I'd go for a Polish Beryl or Serbian M85 (pistol converted to a rifle with a buttstock and barrel extension, can be made in to a SBR). I have both and they are reliable. The Serbian M85/M95 magazines are cheap too. You can even get the M85 that will take AR15 magazines.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    That's why I say to always test fire a slr106 before buying.

I had one for a little bit, from a trade, and it was just as reliable as any other AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Be warned, the SLR-106 series rifles are very hit and miss. I had a 106UR and a 106CR, both of which were unreliable. Arsenal couldn't fix either and eventually refunded most of my money. Arsenal's customer service is F- horrible. Personally, I'd go for a Polish Beryl or Serbian M85 (pistol converted to a rifle with a buttstock and barrel extension, can be made in to a SBR). I have both and they are reliable. The Serbian M85/M95 magazines are cheap too. You can even get the M85 that will take AR15 magazines.

Feedback Score
    I agree. And I'll add to ask the seller if he's every had any sort of reliability issue. If he indicates any sort of problem, then I'd pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast