Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current state of 5.56x45 AK Mags

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    RTG Parts gets in the Polish Beryl mags.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Thanks gents. I'll check around for the Beryl mags and see about getting some Circle 10s and see which works better. I should have a chance to shoot this rifle next weekend so hopefully it's not a lemon. I'll do some searching but, for sake of discussion, are there one or two known problems with the 106's that I should look out for or is it one of those "could be anything" guns. I was hoping to eventually SBR this one but after reading what you've said I'll have to fully vet it first.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Most times it's feeding issues. I'd try a variety. If it feeds fmj 5.56, .223, hp, and soft point in either steel or brass you're ok. Mine fed everything. Only reason mines gone is I wanted to streamline my collection and buy more ammo and mags.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Thanks gents. I'll check around for the Beryl mags and see about getting some Circle 10s and see which works better. I should have a chance to shoot this rifle next weekend so hopefully it's not a lemon. I'll do some searching but, for sake of discussion, are there one or two known problems with the 106's that I should look out for or is it one of those "could be anything" guns. I was hoping to eventually SBR this one but after reading what you've said I'll have to fully vet it first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hello and Happy New Year!

Bumping this old old thread to see what's changed with the 5.56 AK mag market.

Circle 10s are still out there but seem to be selling for about $50 each. One might make for an interesting display piece but that's too much if you're trying to set up a solid range kit. You'll quickly dump $300-$400 just to have a chest rig and one in the gun.

We now have mags made in Russia by Pufgun. These are something near $20. They have sort of a modern design that gives them a unique and different appearance. The 7.62x39 PG mags are generally liked. Hopefully the 5.56 variant is as good.

Another new entry is the AC Unity. These are available in a clear plastic as well as black with a small slit window. Selling for about $15 these might be the way to go. They are built with metal locking tabs and apparently fit in a pretty good variety of rifles to include the Romanian guns.

Zastava is now selling a plastic mag for their 5.56 rifle that is probably pretty solid. Not much out there with regard to fit and function in other guns. Maybe that's because they simply don't work in anything other than the Zastava. Kind of pricey.

There are two mags coming out of Poland. One is for the Beryl. It is GI and appears to be a smoke version of the original black plastic. Those who don't want the smoke can probably just spray paint these to get an AK101-102 look. The other Polish mag looks pretty similar but is apparently a commercial production. It has some slight reinforcement ribs along the body. Both run a bit in the high 20s low 30s.

Pro Mag makes some too. Yeah.

Anything I'm missing? Of the above, which is the way to go for legacy 5.56 rifles like the SAR/WASR and SLR106? AC Unity would seem the best choice unless a specific aesthetic is sought. Especially if they will fit and feed in different variants.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 12-31-21 at 08:01.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Pro Mag makes some too. Yeah.
    I bought one of the Pro Mags when I placed an order for other magazines just to see if/what it would work in. I have a good variety of 5.56x45 AK's. I can't find a single one that it will lock in. Suggestions?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You could try these AC Unity magazines from Robert RTG in 5.56 and they are in stock. I have three of the 5.45x39 AC Unity magazines and they have worked well so far with no failures. Please post a review if you get them. I also have a SLR106 and have only used black 30 round Arsenal magazines in it so far.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/A...Y-392p7087.htm

Feedback Score
    I don’t understand why Arsenal wants to price their stuff so high. There are a ton of SAM-5s for sale right now, but $50 a mag? For $1850 rifle, it makes me look hard at a Galil, CZ Bren or even a SCAR-16.

It kills me because I remember Arsenal 5.56 mags being $25-30 a piece, and pre-ban “waffle” Circle 10 magazines going for $30-35 a piece. It kills me.

and yes, I meant SCAR 16s. $50 mag x 20 magazines = $1000. Add rifle(SAM 5) and you’re near SCAR 16 territory to a guy who owns a plethora of AR magazines that can feed a SCAR and my ARs.
    Last edited by MadAngler1; 01-01-22 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    You could try these AC Unity magazines from Robert RTG in 5.56 and they are in stock. I have three of the 5.45x39 AC Unity magazines and they have worked well so far with no failures. Please post a review if you get them. I also have a SLR106 and have only used black 30 round Arsenal magazines in it so far.

These seem to be a no-brainer for the $$.

As long as they work and last awhile.

Hoping to see PSA come out with an AK101/102 pattern. They are reportedly going to show a new 5.56 AK at SHOT.

Same with Magpul. It would be nice to see a Gen 3 with the metal tabs. Especially with some windows like an AK19 banana clip.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post

AC Unity mags are good to go.
    Nullus amicus melior - Nullus inimicus perior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12