Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for HD: Heresy?

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)

Shotgun for HD: Heresy?

Elsewhere I ventured to opine that I believe a shotgun is a better HD choice than an AR and was met with criticism from AR lovers.

I've done a lot of reading, research and study on this topic, but am I truly all wet? Is the AR a superior HD weapon?

Here I have in mind a scenario of a weapon used inside a house, not picking off incoming Zombies from a hundred yards out as they move in for the kill.

Thoughts??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my not nearly humble enough opinion, both are excellent choices depending on your preferences and level of comfort. I have both, and rotate which one is kept next to my bed ready to go from time to time. From an instantaneous incapacitation standpoint, I definitely prefer the shotgun. 00 Buckshot. Massad Ayoob has some vids out on using a .20 ga. with #4 Buckshot for persons who can tolerate less recoil but still want as close to optimum impact. The other great thing about shotguns is their versatility of loading. Concerned about over penetration? No problem, you can adjust your choice of shells accordingly. Concerned about small round size from an AR? No problem, you can use a 438 grain tactical slug, or various buckshot loads. 00B basically gets you 8-9 9mm pellets on target with one pull of the trigger. #1 buckshot still gets you plenty of penetration, many more pellets, and still large enough pellet sizes to create good wound channels. In recent years, #1 buck seems to have become a very popular choice for HD purposes. I personally still use 00 buck, but wouldn't have any concerns at all with someone going with #1.

Having said all of that, I also have no problem with use of an AR for HD (obviously). Doing so certainly has its advantages from a recoil standpoint, as well as an ammunition capacity standpoint, accuracy, etc.

If you were to set yourself up with a solid HD shotgun, I would be shocked if anyone here would lament your choice.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...uns-and-walls/

While not 100% conclusive because they obviously didnt test a TON of ammo, it to me shows that both are about equal in terms of penetration through drywall, especially with the common 00 buck and XM193 that a ton of people have. I would be interested to see what the Federal 00 with Flite Control wad would do as well as something like a 62g-64g SP(like a Gold Dot or Federal Fusion) and 75g TAP or 77g Federal(SMK). I think XM193 is generally considered a poor round for HD anyway. Even though the #8 only penetrated the 1 wall, I think its been shown to have very poor terminal ballistics through denim.

I wonder what kinds of velocity and energy each projectile had as it was penetrating each wall. Or for that matter, minimum amount of energy/speed required to penetrate drywall.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have both shotgun and rifle setups for HD. I can choose whichever one seems most appropriate at the time, for the situation at hand.

The shotgun is my default social long gun, due to perceptions about "assault rifles". I will gladly pick up a rifle if needed for a situation, perceptions be damned.
    Last edited by IrishDevil; 09-20-14 at 11:36. Reason: Additional thought

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    An 18" shotgun is longer than a 16" carbine
    A shotgun holds less ammo
    A shotgun is harder to load
    Both penetrate drywall, but a shotgun puts 9 projectiles out rather than 1 each time fired
    The carbine has a wider range of capabilities

If you're good with a shotgun, go for it. I'm much more comfortable with a carbine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Solid info, thanks. I would rather put 7 or more 9mm holes in a bad guy all at once than hope I get lucky with a 5.56 at close range, which may just icepick him and nothing else. I carry 14 rounds in and/or on the shotgun, figure that should do the trick

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Solid info, thanks. I would rather put 7 or more 9mm holes in a bad guy all at once than hope I get lucky with a 5.56 at close range, which may just icepick him and nothing else. I carry 14 rounds in and/or on the shotgun, figure that should do the trick

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    No worries. I can't fault your reasoning either. If I am clearing a house room to room, that is one thing. If I am holed up in a bedroom, its another. For the first case I would likely choose a carbine, but for the second, a shotgun is a good option, though a carbine can certainly do the job there as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Shotgun or AR argument to me is akin to the Revolver vs Auto pistol argument. The Shotgun being the revolver, in that is some ways it is much simpler and has been around longer and is thus more accepted than that new fangled kids toy, and in some minds is pretty close to idiot proof(though considering I've seen people manage to **** up a single action revolver nothing is truly idiot proof). However, while it may be more simple in some respects, it is more complex in others, ergo for a pump, putting multiple rounds on target requires one to work the pump opposed to just pulling the trigger again, and again, and again until the threat is no longer a threat, as well as the reload and ability to aim it depending on the shotgun and where it patterns. Thus my comparison to a revolver. The AR can be more complex in other ways, method of operation, cleaning, and perhaps not quite a robust in digesting all manner of loads compared to a pump that will handle low power to heavy loads, it is simpler in others, putting rounds on target, the reload, ect. So what is comes down is what you have more training/are more comfortable with in my mind. Both have put plenty of people in the ground, just need proper shot placement, and a proper load helps as well. Regardless which you choose though, you must train to be effective, I don't give a shit who you are. Train and make sure the platform is in proper working order. Here is where the AR comes out ahead in my mind, since I see a lot more people willing to run drills with and train with an AR over a 12 gauge pump, partly because of ammo costs and partly because they bitch about the recoil from the shotgun.

So to sum it up, partly personal preference and what you are more comfortable. This is of course everything being equal in that you are using quality loads in each and both platforms are reliable, properly set up, ect. Changes in this, from quality of platform to training to what you are willing to do, can skew my opinion to one or the other.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Well, it also depends on the type of shotgun. A pump is very reliable, but not especially ideal when the adrenalin is overwhelming. So, maybe a semi auto shotgun, but then you have the problem of maneuverability in a home anyway. Shotguns tend to be longer and harder to get around doors and halls with. Then you still have the capacity issue. Sure you may have 7 in your shotgun, but I've got 30 in my AR before a reload. Also you need to be almost as accurate with a shotgun as an AR. Many think that a shot gun spreads way more than it does. There is no doubt that a shotgun with a buckshot load is more effective at stopping the threat with a single shot, but a round of M193 is not going to 'ice pick' someone and leave them to carry on as before. A high velocity round like the m193 will make a huge cavity as it passes through. So, even if it doesn't tumble, the pain and potential injury will likely be nearly incapacitating. Then there are always follow up shots.

I was taught to believe that a shotgun is superior to a carbine for HD, but I now believe that that is incorrect for most people. Most people will spend more time shooting their ARs than their shotguns, so the average shotgun HD shooter is less likely to be familiar enough with their shotgun to use it effectively under stress.

My HD weapons are pistol and AR. In fact, I'm thinking of trimming my HD shotgun collection.

BTW - If you have a shotgun and an AR. Make sure they are empty, then pretend moving around your house looking for an intruder. Or try getting into a defensive shooting position in your bedroom with a shotgun vs. an AR.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 09-20-14 at 14:07.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast