Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for HD: Heresy?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Shotgun

Harder to control.
    Less rounds available (think multiple targets).
    Most are not fitted with lights and they are a little harder to do so than an AR (think hitting what you can see/identify).
    Slower follow up shots and potential for operator induced malfunction.

AR
    Less recoil which translates into more accurate shot placement.
    Much higher ammunition capacity without the need to reload (failure to stop or multiple attackers).
    Much easier to outfit with a light.
    Assuming built properly and maintained reduced chance of malfunctions when the SHTF.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The AR is superior IMO, but it doesn't render the shotgun ineffective by any means.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I thought we were supose to be hospitable, and pack some bug spray
    The weapon closest to you when you need it, is the best one. All my training has been on rifle (AR&AK) and pistol platforms and what I'm the most comfortable with, but if the shotgun is the closest, the shotty is what their gonna get. The weapon you have at hand (even if it is just your hands) is best weapon, a lil 22lr within arms reach trumps the baddest boomstick 15ft away when your face to face with bad guy. This kinda mimics what F2S said.... And don't forget about tactical bug spray, while your being hospitable.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I prefer a silenced SBR. I'll take anything that goes boom, including a flint lock musket with bayonet, over anything that doesn't go boom. I'll take non-booming ranged instruments, including an atlatl, over non-ranged instruments.

But as far as I can tell, taking everything into account for my set of uses, there's nothing better than a short and silenced AR in 5.56 or 300blk. A shotgun would be after a rifle for the reasons IG stated, plus less over penetration of 5.56 and better performance through body armor.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 09-21-14 at 00:46.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Shotgun

Harder to control.
    Less rounds available (think multiple targets).
    Most are not fitted with lights and they are a little harder to do so than an AR (think hitting what you can see/identify).
    Slower follow up shots and potential for operator induced malfunction.

AR
    Less recoil which translates into more accurate shot placement.
    Much higher ammunition capacity without the need to reload (failure to stop or multiple attackers).
    Much easier to outfit with a light.
    Assuming built properly and maintained reduced chance of malfunctions when the SHTF.
    Great post!

It's just easier to "run" an AR.

The shotgun's biggest advantage is probably cost.

Feedback Score
    For the average person with no training and who never will get training,the shotgun is a viable choice.Also,as mentioned by Andrewsky,the cost factor.Doing a room by room search with any firearm for the untrained person may not be the best option.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    For the average person with no training and who never will get training,the shotgun is a viable choice.Also,as mentioned by Andrewsky,the cost factor.Doing a room by room search with any firearm for the untrained person may not be the best option.
    You think a gun with more weight, more recoil, arguably a more complex manual of arms, less rounds for extra chances, and probably no red dot is an easier weapon to use?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Koshinn,I don't think that a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 in 12 gauge is heavy.Nor do I believe recoil with the self defense loads out by Federal,etc is objectionable,if it is,as mentioned there is 20 gauge.I don't find the manual of arms for a shotgun for the average person hard to understand and carry out.Capacity,yes it's less.A red dot would be great but drives the cost up.Please understand,I'm not saying the shotgun is a better choice for the trained individual,i am saying the shotgun is a very viable choice for the average home owner with little or no training that just wants to protect their family.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    A shotty is better than nothing. However.....

I choose, and use either a pistol or AR. One shot with each pull off the trigger.

Remember, you're accountable for every projectile.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully Rob Haught will add his perspective.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast