Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: school me on MRE's

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

school me on MRE's

yes I have Google! and I have read tons of threads here.

However, I would like some advice on what brand and how best to buy a few cases of MRE's. I know a few different brands are available and I have read that true government MRE's are not readily accessible. So those here with more knowledge than me, point me in the right direction. I am looking at just ordering from the "Ready store" but still not sure what direction is best. I even saw two different offerings at a local shop with 2016 expire dates.

Thanks in advance, JC

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Govt issue MRE's are available on eBay and most "G.I. Joe" type stores near military bases. I prefer the "real" USGI ones, they are marked govt property and not for resale, but I've ordered some from eBay, no black helicopters circling yet...yet It seems hard to find aftermarket MRE's with the calorie count of the real ones. Are you just looking for something to use for camping or do you want some for just in case? Have you looked into Wise Foods and the other dehydrated food makers?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am getting more interested in being prepared. I have just a starting amount of Wise dehydrated items and I thought it a good idea to have just few MRE's, thinking two cases. Certainly I have a lot to complete toward a water plan. My question is to be able to buy right the first time by tapping experience here on the forum. I just don't know what brand and what to buy, would rather not guess.

Thanks in advance, jc

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Buy the USGI MREs. Buy a mix of Case A and B and insure they were manufactured within the previous 12 months.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Check out Mountain House meals, Mary Janes Farm, Breedlove foods, etc. Dehydrated, add water and they are worlds better than MRE's also much lighter, can provide more calories, most taste better, etc.

I have access to plenty of MRE's and have had them available for my entire career. I keep dehydrated camping food in my basement, use it for camping and in the event of an emergency.

Best bet is to get a couple and taste test. That will seal the deal.
    SF

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I agree with making freeze dried your main stay. MREs are a good grab and go, niche type, quick option to supplement a good freeze dried stash.

Keep an eye on MREdepot.com for periodic releases of more recent production date overrun MREs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is where I get my Menu C MREs.

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...GI-Meal/Detail
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Here, problem solved.

Order from these guys:

http://www.armygear.net/d

Nuff said.

Keep in mind they are only a couple hours away from one of the largest US Army facilities in the nation. Just sayin'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Those are good prices at Armygear.net. My local surplus store wants $10 ea and (I think) $109 for a case, and they look a bit old, but then again, this is the DC area, so everything is expensive.

I was in an Air Force commissary a couple weeks ago while on TDY and noticed that they sell MREs. I'm not sure if any of my local Army commissaries sell them (quite possible I've just never noticed). I believe they were $8.50 ea, but at least they are new, tax free, and direct from the source without shipping.

Dave

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    This is where I get my Menu C MREs.

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...GI-Meal/Detail
    Same here. I'll only ship MREs in cooler months because UPS packages show up hot as hell in warm months... and heat is a shelf life killer for MREs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast