Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I caved...ordered my first AK tonight!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I caved...ordered my first AK tonight!

I've been doing a lot of thought the past couple of months about picking up an AK pattern rifle. I was very close to purchasing a 5.45 caliber AK-style rifle two months ago. Decided to hold off and use the funds for my AR builds. Really glad I did since 7N6 became banned and essentially dried up overnight. With 5.45 commercial roughly the same price as 7.62, I figured that I would go with a 7.62 for my first AK.

I've done a lot of research, watched tons of YouTube videos and read countless reviews and had narrowed down my choice to the Century Arms C39. USA made, middle of the road quality AK. Figured that would let me "test the waters" of the AK platform and see if this is a platform worth putting my time and money into. I had one in my shopping cart, but I decided to sleep on the C39 purchase before impulse buying it. After reading more reviews over the next couple of days, I emptied my shopping cart and resumed research.

I'm a fan of "you get what you pay for" and "buy once, cry once." I buy quality, mil-spec ARs and parts, so I figured why cheap out on an AK, especially my first one where a strong first range impression is the difference between keeping it and selling it/avoiding the platform? With that in mind, I began looking to Arsenal for a potential AK purchase. I was set on picking up a SLR-107FR, but then I read some reviews on the SAM7 series rifles. After much thought between going with a stamped or milled AK, I stumbled upon a new SAM7R for $1150/free shipping. Pretty good price compared to other listings I've seen online, and only $150 more than the SLR107FR I was going to purchase after adding shipping costs (no free shipping with SLR107)...so...I now have a SAM7R coming to my local FFL. Ordered 5 Magpul AK magazines and a Magpul MOE grip. I'm really looking forward to putting a lot of rounds through this AK. It will be a nice change from only shooting ARs (which is not a bad thing).

I'll probably run the AK in a few classes in the coming years. I'd like to take a Vickers AK class if he comes to my area. Other than that, I'll shoot this pretty regularly. I'll mount an Aimpoint later on and maybe a rail so I can mount a light. But for now, I'm going to shoot the hell out of it with irons and the stock furniture.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 08-27-14 at 22:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's a solid rifle. I prefer their stamped rifles a little more but that's my personal preference.

Feedback Score
    I have an SLR 101S-13 that I picked up NIB at the beginning of last year from KVar's most recent Bulgarian Run
    Great rifle very similar if not near identical to yours.
    It was my first AK as well.
    I don't shoot it much since it's so damn nice lol.
    You'll love it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I end up really liking the AK platform, which I have a feeling I will, I may pick up a stamped version down the road. I've never held or handled a high quality AK, so I was mostly going off reader reviews. All the reviews I've read said the stamped Arsenals are very high quality and the actions are smooth. The reviews also said the milled versions are smoother, but at the penalty of increased weight/less parts interchangeability.The only AKs I've shot in the past have been cheap WASRs (which worked fine) but were sloppily put together and screamed low quality. Figured I would try to set the bar for platform high with the milled Arsenal.

Side note, but are there any recommended recoil spring replacement intervals for AK rifles? Or are there any tests I can do (like the Glock RSA test) or any measurements I can refer to (like for AR action springs)? I can't seem to find a consensus on the web. Most users say replace the spring when it breaks, or that "they're good to go for life." It's a bit premature, but I don't like running things until they break, and prefer to be pro-active in regards to maintaining my firearms, especially on a high dollar purchase like this. I'll most likely be handing this down to my kids and I want to keep this in well working condition.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 08-27-14 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let us know your thoughts & impressions after you've shot it awhile, please. Im thinking about the same rifle for myself.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    1. 7N6 has NOT dried up at all (But it def will in time...)
    2. I prefer the 107 series.
    3. That is still a very nice rifle, hope you enjoy.

Stock up on some ((10)) mags and wait for Magpul's steel reinforced mags or Toth Tool's mags to be back in stock...you kinda missed the boat on Golden Tiger also but oh well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Arsenals AKs are pretty much top shelf. You can use plain steel surplus AK mags, just check them for function if used. I have every caliber AK, and the 5.45 and 5.56 are definitely smoother shooters than 7.62, but the milled Arsenals are smoother in 7.62 than stamped.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Milled vs stamped is a personal preference thing. Stamped are usually lighter. My 2 Yugo OPAP rifles are tank heavy and outweigh your milled. They behave a little differently with that extra weight. The SAM7R is a beautiful rifle. You will have fun.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Let us know your thoughts & impressions after you've shot it awhile, please. Im thinking about the same rifle for myself.
    Will do. I'm looking forward to shooting this thing! Also really love how I can go into any Walmart around me and pick up a box of Tula for $5. I usually buy 90% of my ammo online, but it will be nice to be able to pick up Tula whenever I head to Walmart. The stuff is always in stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Will do. I'm looking forward to shooting this thing! Also really love how I can go into any Walmart around me and pick up a box of Tula for $5. I usually buy 90% of my ammo online, but it will be nice to be able to pick up Tula whenever I head to Walmart. The stuff is always in stock.
    I prefer Wolf over Tula. Shoot both of those and you will probably see a difference.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast