Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I chopped down my Midwest Industries SCAR17 rail (PICS)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Makes no sense to chop it down, IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It makes plenty of sense to mod equipment to suit your needs. There aren't any products readily available that fill this requirement. Plus, I can sell the remaining rail to someone who wants an EXTRA long handguard.

Now, making a "simulated full auto" SCAR video, for example, that would make no sense.
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 09-28-14 at 17:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Now, making a "simulated full auto" SCAR video, for example, that would make no sense.
    #shotsfired

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It makes plenty of sense to mod equipment to suit your needs. There aren't any products readily available that fill this requirement. Plus, I can sell the remaining rail to someone who wants an EXTRA long handguard.

Gonna agree 100% here, I'm in the same boat, I don't need a lot of xtra space out front, but just enough to suit my purpose with the rifle. I want my AFG a smidge more forward and a light, thats it, anything else out front is not needed.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    I've got size 38-39 arm length, so I found the full rail extension helpful for getting a really good stable forward grip.

And as for the full-auto video....just some movie magic!!

LOL.

Feedback Score
    Since this thread came up I have been looking for picture of the Handl Defense short fore rails they have in their mk17 improvement program. I cant find it. But after much goading and showing him this thread, he is going to release the short rails. When I find out when, I will let you know.

Anyway here is a pic of one of the mid length systems with the red line showing the length of the short rails.

The system uses Magpul MLOK and it keeps the Quick change aspects (6 bolts to swap it out) of the original system. Mid length is lighter (with all the MLOK 2in, 4in and bottom rails) than the VLTOR hand guard. I am sure it is much lighter than any of the receiver extensions (MI, PWS, FN)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    [QUOTE=1911-A1;1997369]It makes plenty of sense to mod equipment to suit your needs.

Attachment 28869

It does make sense to modify
    Not chopping off near as much of an expensive component as what you did ..
    but a cut worth making to suit your needs.
    Last edited by MBtech; 10-05-14 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not my Scar but I can understand and justify why one would take a saw or a wizz wheel to something to make work in your favor.
    Last edited by MBtech; 10-05-14 at 03:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    Not my Scar but I can understand and justify why one would take a saw or a wizz wheel to something to make work in your favor.
    It came as a result of trying a few rails, shooting it in a battle rifle class and seeing no products on the market that suited my needs. Believe me I was really hesitant to chop it, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It came as a result of trying a few rails, shooting it in a battle rifle class and seeing no products on the market that suited my needs. Believe me I was really hesitant to chop it, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.
    I'm torn!
    Do I get one and make my own or wait on one of these new shorter Handl rails that are looking pretty nice for my needs, but sounds like close to being twice the price at around $400

Decisions Decisions...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123