Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR 9mm

Feedback Score
    This has me excited for 2 reasons

First, I've wanted an LCR for a while but didn't need one because it didn't do anything better than what my J-frames already did.

Second, I hope this along with S&W making K-frames in 9mm means we'll see M&P340's made for 9mm.

I do agree that a full sized (6 shot 4in barrel) version of the LCR line would be cool, Just make it more like the old Security/Service Six instead of the GP100.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Going to shoot tomorrow.

What questions would everyone like answered?
    I'm not writing a full review. I will be brief.

Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Recoil vs 38 and 38+p LCR (or J Frames) if you have fired them.

Quality and perceived durability of the moon clips.

Chrono results if available.

What reasons you would offer to choose this over 38? Ammo price/availability? Consolidate calibers? Terminal performance vs 38 (recoil trade off worth it)?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Definitely interested in this new LCR. Being able to only have one caliber to buy for intrigues me.

Feedback Score
    I am interested in this, I was just about to buy a SW 442. With this out, I would like to see the size comparison and the chrono results.

Feedback Score
    I am intrigued, to say the least.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Going to shoot tomorrow.

I have the LCR .22 (plinker / DA trainer). I'd like a j-frame as a CCW option and like the idea of not investing in new caliber (currently carry a compact 9mm).

I, too am interested in the moon-clip durability / usability, and how the LCR 9mm compares to 642 / 442 in terms of quality, durability, shootability.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I wont have a chrono, but here are some quick size comparisons:

Dont complain about the pictures I'm not Stickman.

From left to right .38 LCR, Bodyguard .38, S&W 438, LCR 9mm.

SW 438 vs LCR 9MM

Bodyguard vs LCR
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    I had the 13.5 oz .38 LCR.

Recoil was a slap not a push. Mild with the great Hogue tamer grip and Ruger frame design. (Allows more cushion between your hand and frame vs. S&W) Could shoot it all day.

With .38 +p 125 gr ammo a little more but not bad at all. With 147gr +p+ Hydrashoks it smacks the hand and you won't want to fire much of it but it still won't hurt you. It's kind of like a .380 LCP or Kel-tec. Not fun to shoot but won't hurt you like a Scandium 12 oz S&W.

I have the LCR .357 magnum (17 ounces) and standard .38 is fun to shoot. +p's can be fired all day. .357 magnum is like firing the +p+ Hydrashoks in the .38 model but with more push and muzzle rise. Even with heavy .357 magnum bullets 5 shots doesn't hurt at all. After about 15-20 rounds it starts to get old. I suppose you could also compare it to firing .357 magnum from a steel 25 oz Ruger Sp-101 if your familiar with that.

I just fired mine yesterday with five old .357 145 gr Silvertips I found while looking for something else. Five shots and five 6 inch plates smacked down hard. No pain.

But I digress. Having had the .38 and .357 LCR's I'm sure the recoil of the 9mm will feel like a hot .38 in the .357 magnum gun. (the 9mm gun weighs the same as the .357 model) I wouldn't worry about the recoil at all. But I would buy a lot of ammo clips!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Going to shoot tomorrow.

Did you try +p vs non +p and if so how was the difference in recoil? And what weight bullets did you shoot?

Also, could you post a pic of the sight picture on your 438? I am thinking about upgrading mine to better match my 340.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast