Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR 9mm

Feedback Score
    It's my understanding that you CAN fire this without the moon clips but you'd have to manually tap each spent cartridge out one by one, correct?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Iiiiiiiiiinteresting...

I'm surprised something like this has come along. I have a policy of caliber consolidation, so this fits nicely with that...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    It's my understanding that you CAN fire this without the moon clips but you'd have to manually tap each spent cartridge out one by one, correct?
    That is my understanding - the expansion of the case creates something of a friction fit. With a traditional revolver cartridge, the ejection star overcomes the friction by pushing against the cartridge rim. Without a rim, you'll likely use a pencil.

With a 9mm, I've been wondering how steel cases expand in a cylinder. Having less elasticity than brass cartridges, are they equally sticky? I don't have 9mm revolvers but this part of my interest in the LCR.

Feedback Score
    I put a few rounds through mine today. Definitely has 38+P feel to the recoil.

Does anyone know of any moonclip belt or pocket holders sized for a 9mm? I've seen some .45, but no 9mm.

Feedback Score

So far I am happy with the Soco Kydex holster. Re-holstering is non-existent like the VG2. It's pretty comfy and I like that the cylinder is not covered and should fit the .22 version if I pick one up down the road.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice looking little minimalist holster. It will be interesting to see how much lint accumulates inside the action.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the slight thread drift here,

Does anybody know if Ruger will attempt to re-introduce the .327 Federal Mag with the LCR line?

I was interested in this cartridge when it came out but neither Ruger nor S&W put it in a truly compact revolver for concealed carry.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Sorry for the slight thread drift here,

Does anybody know if Ruger will attempt to re-introduce the .327 Federal Mag with the LCR line?

I was interested in this cartridge when it came out but neither Ruger nor S&W put it in a truly compact revolver for concealed carry.
    A .327 fed mag LCR with 6 shots and no internal lock would be pretty interesting but I wouldn't count on it since the other Ruger .327 fed mags don't seem all that popular.

Going even farther off track, I wish Ruger would chamber the Redhawk in .45 acp (with a 4.2" barrel) and also work on an 8-shot version in 9mm (with a 5" barrel) to compete with S&W. An 8 shot 9mm Redhawk would be something I would probably definitely buy even if it meant selling off other things for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In 9mm revolvers, those that use moon clips can also be used without them if chambers have the ledge or shelf to establish head space. This arrangement is the same way that 45acp's, 9x19s, and some others set up head space in semi-autos.

Colt 1917 revolvers were produced in 45acp during WW1. Half moon clips were used to establish head space and allow extraction. Early production models omitted the chambers' head spacing ledge with the result that rounds loaded without the clips fell straight through.

If I had to choose between a LCR in 38, 357, or 9mm, my choice would be 357. One reason is that I view the 9mm's required clips as a potentially troublesome requirement(based on 1000s of rds through Colt and Smith revolvers using half moon clips. Yes, I know the difference between half and full clips. The other reason is the versatility of the 357 chambering. The truth is that I'd like to have one in 9mm anyway.

Feedback Score
    I would carry this 9mm LCR as a back up to a 9mm pistol. Pistol + spare mag and LCR. The moon clips are subject to bending but I wouldn't be carrying a loaded moon clip anyway.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast