Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 in 6.5 Grendal: Thoughts/Experiences for perspective upgrade/build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

AR-15 in 6.5 Grendal: Thoughts/Experiences for perspective upgrade/build

Hello,
    I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my Ar-15 DMR/SPR rifle currently chambered in .23 Wylde to 6.5 Grendal. To do so requires few parts: barrel, bolt, and mags. Those are the basic components to convert to a 6.5. However, per a conversation I had with a gunsmith the conversion can often be not so simple. According to this gunsmith problems often arise, mags that function reliably are hard to find and the rifle can be prone to malfunctions sourcing from the gas system. His thoughts are initially it may seem like an affordable upgrade option but many issues can arise which end up costing a good deal to fix/troubleshoot.

I am not a gunsmith and have very little technical skills/knowledge so any work done on the rifle would be outsourced to a gunsmith on my dime. After the conversation with the gunsmith I am questioning the upgrade. The way I had planned on doing it I was going to purchase a barrel/bolt from Lilja and go from there. I know that buying a complete upper would be intrinsically a more reliable system but I want to keep costs down.

I use this rifle for mid-long range target shooting. I have not yet, but at some point would like to go after hogs with it. It has a hi-powered scope and is set up well for this application. The 6.5 conversion would basically use everything I already have replacing only the core components (barrel/bolt/mag) to 6.5G. Below is a photo of the rifle for reference.

Any thoughts on the topic or experiences with 6.5 any forum members can share will be greatly appreciated.

!GUN-IMG_1808_zpse627000c.jpg

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    How exactly are you shoving the capability envelope of what you have right now? It's a small (thumbnail sized) picture, but that looks like a pretty capable setup - feed it some 75gr-77gr match handloads and you should be in pretty solid shape out to half a mile for target work, the 6.5 Grendel (running up to 123gr bullets) will absolutely outshine 5.56 in that range where the lighter projectiles fall off on wind performance, but if you're not out to there then I'd at least look into running what you have hardware wise with ammunition more specifically suited to mid-long range target work.
    As a minimal cost answer I'd look into that first, maybe as a stopgap until you can get a complete upper as an answer (I'd argue that's a much better solution for all the minor reliability niggles you've pointed out, having a complete built upper at least narrows down some of those since you have another known-good upper to troubleshoot and compare against.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks very much for your reply. At the moment I am unable to handload (temporally staying at a friends house while searching for a new place to live) but using top quality ammo, with the specs you mentioned does work well for punching paper. The desire for a heavier projectile is for the hogs, and possibly pronghorn here in CO. I think that you make a good point and I should have mentioned this in my original post. From your suggestion I gather that you recommend spending the extra cash and going with a complete upper. Any specific brands?

- Sorry about the photo, forum would not let me upload the pic in original size... I will upload a larger copy. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    How exactly are you shoving the capability envelope of what you have right now? It's a small (thumbnail sized) picture, but that looks like a pretty capable setup - feed it some 75gr-77gr match handloads and you should be in pretty solid shape out to half a mile for target work, the 6.5 Grendel (running up to 123gr bullets) will absolutely outshine 5.56 in that range where the lighter projectiles fall off on wind performance, but if you're not out to there then I'd at least look into running what you have hardware wise with ammunition more specifically suited to mid-long range target work.
    As a minimal cost answer I'd look into that first, maybe as a stopgap until you can get a complete upper as an answer (I'd argue that's a much better solution for all the minor reliability niggles you've pointed out, having a complete built upper at least narrows down some of those since you have another known-good upper to troubleshoot and compare against.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tiny again... I am new to the forum so dont know if I am screwing this up or it should to be like this... When I click on the pic a pop-up with an enlarged view appears.

Quote Originally Posted by AssGasOrBrass View Post

Feedback Score
    To the OP,
    I shoot 5.56, 6.5G and 6.8 out of the AR15 platform. My suggestion is to shoot out your current barrel, and then consider whether you want to go to the added expense of changing to 6.5 G. Unless you are regularly shooting past 500 yards, the performance difference is minimal. On hogs, most of your shooting will be inside 100 yards, and with good hunting ammo, your .223 Wylde will do just fine.

The 6.5 G does offer an increase in long range performance, but at a considerable price, both in ammo cost and reliabilty. Learn to shoot with .223/5.56.....then decide whether you need the performance increase that comes with pushing the envelope of performance.

If you want purely a AR15 hunting round for medium game, I think the 6.8 SPC offers a better balance of game stopping 'thump' and reliabilty for taking game inside 300 yards in an AR15 platform. YMMV.

Best,

Will

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have also shot 5.56, 6.8, and 6.5 quite a bit out of multiple AR15s.

Here's my secret sauce to creating a reliable 6.5 Grendel AR:

(1) Use true Grendel parts (not .264LBC, not Grendel II, etc).

(2) Use an upper receiver with generous feed ramp cuts; some CMTs and others have very shallow cuts so watch out for those.

(3) Use 25 round Grendel mags, add Wolff or ISMI mag springs.

I've owned multiple Grendels built using this recipe and have had excellent results. Hornady factory ammo is very good: I'm getting 3/4MOA at 100 yards using Hornady 123gr SST out of an 18" Brownells barrel and hitting 12" steel plates out to 600 yards borders on ridiculously easy with my 2.5-10x32 NF scope. I have never had feeding issues with my multiple 25 round magazines, some of which go all the way back to 2008.

With Hornady ammo hovering around $18/20 + shipping right now, it's not all that expensive either when comparing to shooting match 5.56 ammo. And if you want to blast away, 6.5 Grendel steel case is $8/20 + shipping.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    What that guy ^^^ said. There are no reliability issues with the Grendel, if you use the SAAMI Spec Chamber and mil spec parts. An adjustable gas block and heavy buffer don't hurt when using a med or carbine gas system.

I can get Hornady 123gr SST cheaper than I can get quality 5.56 hunting ammo.

Inside 300 yards the game won't know the difference in whether they're hit using a Grendel or a 6.8. However, beyond 400 yards they most certainly will.

Past 500 yards the game won't know the difference in whether they're hit using your .223 Wylde or a 6.8.

I say keep your nicely built upper as it is and build a 6.5 Grendel Upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Fennell View Post
    To the OP,
    I shoot 5.56, 6.5G and 6.8 out of the AR15 platform. My suggestion is to shoot out your current barrel, and then consider whether you want to go to the added expense of changing to 6.5 G. Unless you are regularly shooting past 500 yards, the performance difference is minimal. On hogs, most of your shooting will be inside 100 yards, and with good hunting ammo, your .223 Wylde will do just fine.

The 6.5 G does offer an increase in long range performance, but at a considerable price, both in ammo cost and reliabilty. Learn to shoot with .223/5.56.....then decide whether you need the performance increase that comes with pushing the envelope of performance.

If you want purely a AR15 hunting round for medium game, I think the 6.8 SPC offers a better balance of game stopping 'thump' and reliabilty for taking game inside 300 yards in an AR15 platform. YMMV.

Best,

Will
    Sound advice here.... If you plan on taking medium game past 400 yds none of the calibers mentioned are really the best tool for that job.... There really isn't as much difference in performance between the 6.8 spc II and the Grendel that fans would like you to believe... Both rounds have made improvements where they needed to.... 6.8 does have ammo that keeps up with the G well past 400 yards and the G does pretty good on shorter barrels now.... You definitely will find more industry support with the 6.8spc II, a lot more factory ammunition choices if you are not Reloading, and better parts availability. The 5.56 really maybe all you really need though.... But who just buys the guns they need? Boring...

Feedback Score
    The Grendel chamber is SAAMI and kind of like a 5.56 Nato as far as performance with a wide range of bullets. I haven't had any issues with the 264LBC which is kind of like a .223 Wylde. It prevents over working the brass and can be more accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast