Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plates for class

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Plates for class

I've been reading through old post about what would be the best solution for a civilian who wanted to protect themself in shoot house classes. There are several threads with detailed info but generally are a few years old. So I'm more interested in identify time tested and gold standard solutions. What is the current recommendation(s) for an individual that prefers a durable, budget friendly solution that will protect from 5.56 M193 & M855, 7.62 M80, and AK rounds at CQB distances. Plate size preference is 10"x12".

Order of importance:
    Durability
    Spall protection
    Cost
    Weight

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Your order of importance points to steel armor plates. Find a reputable dealer/manuf who has a good spall protection. Bulletproofme.com, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    In person I received a recommendation from a reputable source to consider "5mm MARs steel plates" however I haven't been able to find as much info using that as a specific search query on Google. I had a very brief discussion with the person at the end of a class and didn't get a chance to ask all the questions I would have liked answered. Is there a tangible distinction between MARs steel and AR500?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not familiar with MARs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are genuinely worried about M193 at cqb distance go ceramic. Fast and light 5.56 causes fits for most steel plates. Bulletproofme has lvl 4 ceramic plates for $145 each, they are heavy but stop both M855 and M193 at cqb range.

That said I'm getting ready to buy some "rifle" plates for a cqb class. I'm not real worried about M193 and I want to use the plates in some force on force/hands on drills. So for me the durability of steel so I can wrestle, drop to prone, run into walls (I'm clumsy..) and get shot with sims/utms means steel is more appealing to me than ceramics.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple sets I either use myself of loan out. A set of Gamma's that meet the needs of what I would expect in a shoot house, or when I'm working AI for a class of new shooters that might make me nervous. They're a little heavy, and a little thick, but they do the job. Also I upgraded to a set of Velocity P34's with soft backers, IMO can't go wrong with that combo, fairly light, fairly thin, not as cool as Velocity BZ's but they get the job done. If I were in the market for a new set today, and on my dime, I would be all over another set of P34's.
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd stick with ceramic multi-curve as they're more comfortable, lighter, and defeat more threats than steel. If you paid good money for a class you should spend it paying attention and not in pain because you're in some uncomfortable armor.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ceramic expires, AR500 doesn't. You can't drop ceramic on its side, AR500 you can throw it from a 20 story building. After multiple hits, ceramic is done, AR500 keeps going. If 2-4 oz more is an issue, get a gym membership, or a 20-60lb weighted vest and start working out. Because most likely, you're out of shape. Just saying.

Fear nothing, Nor anyone!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakedasnake View Post
    Ceramic expires, AR500 doesn't. You can't drop ceramic on its side, AR500 you can throw it from a 20 story building. After multiple hits, ceramic is done, AR500 keeps going. If 2-4 oz more is an issue, get a gym membership, or a 20-60lb weighted vest and start working out. Because most likely, you're out of shape. Just saying.

The military uses ceramic for a reason. Oz leads to pounds, and it's not just a few oz difference between ceramic and steel plates.

Steel has splash and maybe spall to deal with. What's the point if a fragment of metal splashes off the plate and hits your brachial artery? Yes there are coatings for steel - show me independent testing from hits at a variety of angles.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakedasnake View Post

LOL, seriously? Where did you hear that crap?

Ceramic plates don't expire. And they're durable. A lot more durable than you think. If you think your average grunt takes off his armor and gingerly places it down ever day after a 12 hour patrol, you're wrong. Ceramic also does multiple hits very well. Also it's a lot more than 2-4oz heavier, and I'd rather not hump extra weight.

Think about it, if AR500 was so great why is no one in the military using it on the front lines?

Here's a video of ghetto testing a damaged ESAPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIarVbfERq4

Here's another. Again- not very scientific but takes a lot more abuse than you'd think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9nsT05SsFU

Also feel free to check out the AR500 thread a few subjects down.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast