Thread: Actual Felt Recoil

Feedback Score

Actual Felt Recoil

Has anyone measured actual felt recoil (in pounds) at the human shoulder from the butt stock when the weapon has been fired ? Of any semi or bolt action shoulder fired weapon. ...other than kicks like a mule.

We've all seen those goofy videos of people getting knocked down or the weapon flying out of their hands...
    Give Me the Eyes of an Eagle.The Courage of a Lion and the Balls of a Combat Helicopter Pilot. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I've seen it done using both load cells and accelerometers but I don't have any of the data available to me.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The government method is a pendulum. There are improved methods in the works.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Felt recoil isn't measured in foot/lbs. That's free recoil. You can have a rifle with more free recoil yet have a more pleasant felt recoil than a rifle with less free recoil. You can do a search and find formulas that will let you figure out the free recoil (ft/lbs) a rifle will generate. Felt recoil is rather subjective and varies from rifle to rifle and shooter to shooter
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Felt recoil is subjective and there are a lot of factors to consider.

I use the RemShoot software to calculate free recoil. When comparing different loads, it gives you some indication of what may be above your comfort zone and what is not.

Anything I load at 13 ft-lbs. of free recoil or less is within my comfort zone. Anything below 10 ft-lbs. of free recoil is downright comfortable for me. A few people I shoot with like lower numbers. What you can or are willing to tolerate and maintain a good shooting position is what you want to determine.
    Last edited by T2C; 09-27-14 at 00:03.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post

This data strikes me as sticky-worthy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post

Thanks. That gives me a great heads up for what I was looking for. Simple to go off of and don't need an engineering degree to figure it out.

I agree. This would be a good one for the sticky section.
    Give Me the Eyes of an Eagle.The Courage of a Lion and the Balls of a Combat Helicopter Pilot. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It does not take an engineering degree to plug a few numbers into a math formula
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-27-14 at 10:41.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American