Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I just want to know when BCM is gonna step up to the .308 game. I'll probably end up shelling out the $3k for an LMT MWS 16" one of these days.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

308 ?

You don't state how you will use it, which leaves a lot to the imagination and very little to logic.

My advice is usually to buy higher end gear that will work correctly and not require a bunch of mods and will work reliably out of the box. My preference is HK, but KAC would be a solid choice as well. Along with several others that are pretty well known names. I don't have experience with the others so I will only speak to what I know.

I own several rifles in that caliber, but this one is, by a wide margin, my favorite.

Shoots sub MOA consistently with a variety of ammo, even sub 1/2 MOA when I am on MY game.

But none of that matters if you're planning on throwing it in a truck. This would not be my recommendation for a truck gun.

ETA: I have changed nothing on this rifle other than adding what I now know is a mediocre optic, which you will do with any of those mentioned already.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-29-14 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The HK interests me as well. Can you get SR25 mags in there or are you stuck with HK?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    HK Magazines only. They cost about the same as my SCAR17 mags........

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    HK Magazines only. They cost about the same as my SCAR17 mags........
    That is unfortunate.

I really don't understand why someone doesn't just make a DPMS pattern .308 that is on par with a Colt or BCM M4 carbine. I mean how hard can it be? To me it seems you have rifles that either border on the low end of the scale, then you get into the high end stuff with proprietary parts, monolithic uppers, quick change barrels and ultra precision. Starting price of $3k and up.

Why doesn't someone make a quality 16" carbine gas rifle that is 1/10 twist, chrome lined, has a standard front sight post and plastic hand guards and takes PMags? I can then take that base platform and modify it how I want it. Maybe it does and I'm missing it, but it seems like that is the gaping hole left in the .308 AR world. I want a 6920 in .308.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just put together a psa from a complete upper and lower. I've only had a chance to put 50 rounds through it but its functioned great. I got the 16" with rifle gas. I put a CMC 3.5# trigger in it and it works fine. It weighs 11 pounds with a full pmag and a 1-4 scope. The psa upper may not work on your dpms, cmmg, etc. lowers with some file to the top of the receiver and the buffer tube. The charging handle hits and the upper wont seat all the way on the lower.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This would be a gun id go coyote hunting with and just playing around with long range.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    That is unfortunate.

I really don't understand why someone doesn't just make a DPMS pattern .308 that is on par with a Colt or BCM M4 carbine. I mean how hard can it be? To me it seems you have rifles that either border on the low end of the scale, then you get into the high end stuff with proprietary parts, monolithic uppers, quick change barrels and ultra precision. Starting price of $3k and up.

Why doesn't someone make a quality 16" carbine gas rifle that is 1/10 twist, chrome lined, has a standard front sight post and plastic hand guards and takes PMags? I can then take that base platform and modify it how I want it. Maybe it does and I'm missing it, but it seems like that is the gaping hole left in the .308 AR world. I want a 6920 in .308.
    That's just how the .308 Win/7.62 rifles in AR style work out. No one wants standardization because that means that any one can take a part from one and put it in another. These companies want to be the sole source of components so they can control the quality of each component chosen. Your best bet it to look for the rifles that have high round count reports when firing from the new generation of PMAGS, or you go for the SCAR 17 with it's stock factory mags and just forget about the AR308 business altogether. The best and most vetted of these platforms will run you the same amount to nearly double the SCAR and buying the magazines should be done in large lots rather than 1-2 at a time.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    That's just how the .308 Win/7.62 rifles in AR style work out. No one wants standardization because that means that any one can take a part from one and put it in another. These companies want to be the sole source of components so they can control the quality of each component chosen. Your best bet it to look for the rifles that have high round count reports when firing from the new generation of PMAGS, or you go for the SCAR 17 with it's stock factory mags and just forget about the AR308 business altogether. The best and most vetted of these platforms will run you the same amount to nearly double the SCAR and buying the magazines should be done in large lots rather than 1-2 at a time.
    That's all good and all, but why doesn't someone just make a quality basic rifle? All I would do from there is fit it with a quality free float 12.5" hand guard and call it a day. For optics I'd probably run a PRO with a 3x magnifier. And it would be my hunting rifle.

I don't need a piston gun, I don't need quick barrel changes, and I don't need to hit a 6" circle at 800 yards. I do want quality however. I feel like this isn't a ridiculous request for a rifle either.

Feedback Score
    I think the Armalite AR-10A is pretty much what you are looking for.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast