Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First spotting scope purchase, budget vs top notch

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

First spotting scope purchase, budget vs top notch

Until recently I have done most of my shooting just at my property @ 100 yards.

Got a range membership this weekend at a place that has just been opened up close by, and now have access to 600.

A spotting scope is now in order as a must have.

Looking for advice on say $500 or less, and $500 up to $1000
    Main goal as of now is to serve to 600 yards, with 1000 yards being a future goal.

Thanks ahead of time for any help on this subject.
    Last edited by MBtech; 09-29-14 at 15:59.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just as an FYI, the tripod you mount it on makes a HUGE difference. A high-end 20-40X scope is useless if you cannot fully stabilize it and not prevent it from moving when you touch it or when the wind blows.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A high quality spotting scope is not something that technology will render obsolete in a few years. A good one will last and remain a high end item for years or even decades. It's a one time expense that is worth it.

Also, clarity becomes a huge issue at higher magnifications. Genuinely cheap scopes might even be utterly unusable at shorter distances, and mediocre ones will be worthless not too long after that, particularly if you're trying to spot impacts and holes.

That's not to say that there aren't "bargains" or that you'll get more for your money from company A than you will from company B. But $1000 is definitely where you need to be aimed at.

$999 http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...ing-scope.html

Or what is essentially the same scope with a reticle to help adjust fire based on impacts...$1699 http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...ope-60040.html

Feedback Score
    Im definately a bargain now as of late. Ive been there done that with $5k rifles, $1k pistols, $1k scopes. Im now only interested in quality budget stuff. So if anyone can recommend the budget line of spotting scopes that would be nice. And by budget i mean under $500. Also recommended tripods as well. Dont mean to thread jack OP just figured id toss my two cents in that might help get the stuff you and i and many others might be lookin for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    Im definately a bargain now as of late. Ive been there done that with $5k rifles, $1k pistols, $1k scopes. Im now only interested in quality budget stuff. So if anyone can recommend the budget line of spotting scopes that would be nice. And by budget i mean under $500. Also recommended tripods as well. Dont mean to thread jack OP just figured id toss my two cents in that might help get the stuff you and i and many others might be lookin for.

I was just about to post to the previous reply on tripods lol.
    welcome any recs on those as well

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Head to the 600yd range and check out / look through some members gear and learn how good or expensive of a spotting scope you need to get the job done. This will take the guess work out of your shopping and will likely save you some $$$.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would suggest a hard look at the Vortex Diamondback line. They are pretty much right at $500 for the 20-60x80 and are nice for the money. Good field of view too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Head to the 600yd range and check out / look through some members gear and learn how good or expensive of a spotting scope you need to get the job done. This will take the guess work out of your shopping and will likely save you some $$$.
    Good advice, looking through them at Bass Pro or Cabelas doesn't do any justice as it would at the range..

Feedback Score
    This is an awesome tripod

http://youtu.be/tOYzNhzZIkI
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey,
    I have a little experience with NM shooting. I found a really nice moderately priced spotting scope. It works really good for the price. The Konus - Konuspot -80. I got my scope tripod from Champions Choice. Get the deluxe version. I like the set up and it cost me about $600.00 all together. Good luck. Champions Choice will have the scope and the tripod on their web site......

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast