Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First spotting scope purchase, budget vs top notch

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And that guy in the video is wrong. There are a bunch of companies that make tripods like that. That is used for NM type shooting. Like I said, I like the Champions Choice the best. You really don't want an all aluminum one. The rod that the scope slides on should be solid steel. That cuts down on movement in the wind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a spotting scope priced under $500 the Konus 20-60x80mm or Konus 20-60x100mm would be a good choice to get by. I have owned a Konus 20-60x80mm scope for several years and seeing .30 caliber holes at 300 yards is not a problem. Seeing target discs at 1,000 yards is also not a problem.

You will have to purchase a good scope stand if you want to use the scope for spotting while shooting in the offhand position. If you are going to use the scope in the sitting or prone position, the tripod that comes with the Konus scope will get you by. You can make a lead weight to place on the ground and make an attachment for the bottom of the scope tripod to help stabilize the scope in the wind.

If you start looking at spending $1,000 for a spotting scope, KOWA makes a quality scope. Usually purchasing a KOWA is like ordering a la carte at an expensive restaurant though. An eye piece, a scope cover, etc., will have to be purchased separately from most vendors. Champions Choice and Creedmoor Sports are two good companies to check when considering ordering a KOWA.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    If you find the Vortex in your price range I think you're getting generally 1.5x the value compared to other spotters out there and there's is something to fit into everyone's budget. Hard to go any other way unless you talking extreme high-end.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for all the input so far guys, exactly the kind of advice I've been looking for.
    I have not really "set a budget" for this purchase but I want to compare both ends of the spectrum.

Feedback Score
    I'm a little late to this thread but if you're on a budget I'd be looking at Konus. I started using a Nikon, then I upgraded to a Kowa. When I was shooting high power, the Puerto Rico National Guard team was using Konus spotting scopes. Unless you have to have a removable eyepiece because you want a LER lens, the Konus spotting scope is an excellent piece of glass. You will be able to equip yourself with the scope, a stand, and anything else you need optics wise for less than the cost of a Kowa. The advantage of the Kowa is pretty much everyone wants one, so selling a used scope isn't an issue, but that won't help you unless you can drop that kind of coin on it int he first place.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think it is sounding like I will be trying out a Konus.
    I have found them below $300 with a table stand which should do the trick, will mainly be used from a bench.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That KONA Is acceptable to get you out to 600. I have a Kowa, it was sub $1k and super nice. My little pearl is this. Don't try to use max power. I have a 27X fixed eyepiece. It has served me well. Great to - 1,000.

At 1,400 yards I wish I had more.

SWFA has a good website to shop around. They have decent prices but shop around.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Clarity will always trump Magnification everytime. I have had no problems honestly spotting .30 Holes @ 300 Yards with Numerous Rifle Scopes, below 20x.

Get the best you can afford, and buy once. A spotting scope is not something you want to skimp on, or really anything in the Precision Rifle World for that matter.

I prefer Spotting Scopes with Milliradian Reticles, and like to have the Clarity to be able to see bullet trace as the rounds go downrange, thereby aiding in Correcting dope on the Fly.

My Two Pics would be a Leupold Mark 4 w/ MilDot/P4F/TMR Reticle or the Vortex Razor HD w/ Mil Reticle 30x Eyepiece. Of course there is also the Bushnell Elite Tactical 8-40x60mm. Others like Zeiss Hensoldt and the bunch are super pricey, but rediculously badass.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For sure agree with clarity being a must, I did a brief google search and the Leopold Mark 4, and Razor HD look to be $1500ish.
    I'm sure they are nice but way out of my price range.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    are you MIL/GOV/LE ?
    Last edited by HD1911; 10-15-14 at 17:48.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast