Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire escape ladders

Feedback Score

Fire escape ladders

Anyone have any recommendations on an escape ladder?
    I live in a third floor apartment with pretty much only one way to the ground floor.

Feedback Score
    Go to target or any other retailer to get a basic model. That is the easy answer.

Since you want to think it through, determine the height you need from all viable windows, building stand off and what issues you might face on the way to the ground. Think weight limits, especially if you will need to carry anyone else down or have multiple people bugging out from the third floor.

Do you have flashlights, fire resistant clothing for bed time, extinguishers and smoke detectors already taken care of? Also profile the likely causes of fire in your building, old smokers, drunks and under supervised kids. Plan around those risks.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Sounds like the landlord / building manager needs a visit from the Fire Marshall. One means of egress in an apartment building?? That is a big no-no up here.

If you do get a ladder don't just leave it in the box, take it out and practice a few times with all your family members that will be using it. They are very awkward to mount and climb. When you do your research on what will work for you look at the hook design and make sure it will work well with your window sills. And most importantly make sure the ladder rungs have stand offs.

Based on your one egress comment, make sure your smoke detectors are all in working order too, there are occasions of people overcome by smoke in their sleep or in the process of deploying their ladders.

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    An option might be a metal roll up type ladder like the ones used for caving. They are only around 12" wide but could be left coiled up at the window to prevent tampering. The ones I have are around 30' long but can be joined with locking carabiners to get more length.
    Last edited by hickuleas; 09-30-14 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A caving ladder may fit your needs.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I've got a fire extinguisher already and an emergency kit ready to go. My smoke alarms are working as well as having multiple sprinklers inside and outside. I'll need to check the actual height, but I have windows directly inline below me if that effects the ladder choice. There is at least two smokers in my building that I know of, and the one method of egress is what got me thinking of this topic. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Thanks for the replies.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When we lived in apartments I always kept one of these under the bed. Now I keep it in our attic with a crash axe just cause.

http://www.firstalert.com/index.php?...-escape-ladder

Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, and other big box retailers should carry them. They come in two and three story models.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plumpsquirrel3 View Post
    I've got a fire extinguisher already and an emergency kit ready to go. My smoke alarms are working as well as having multiple sprinklers inside and outside. I'll need to check the actual height, but I have windows directly inline below me if that effects the ladder choice. There is at least two smokers in my building that I know of, and the one method of egress is what got me thinking of this topic. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Thanks for the replies.
    An extinguisher is great, BUT remember that odds are the in the case of a fire it will not be in your apartment. Unless the fire is directly below or next to your unit your biggest concern will be smoke in the beginning and a smoke detector will play a large part in you being able to escape or protect in place until help arrives. That window below you will be an issue with a rolling ladder and you can expect to most likely put your foot through it while climbing down.

Again my bells and whistles are going into overdrive with your one means of egress. You need to have at least two depending on total units in the building. Have you had any close calls in the building? ie; small room and contents fires?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    When we lived in apartments I always kept one of these under the bed. Now I keep it in our attic with a crash axe just cause.

http://www.firstalert.com/index.php?...-escape-ladder

Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, and other big box retailers should carry them. They come in two and three story models.
    That is more cost effective than a caving ladder and more suitable.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Who and how many have to climb it? Are you lowering kids or someone weak down that needs extra help? If so, perhaps consider a simple rope system. You could belay a weaker person down and then rappel down yourself using the same setup.

If you're just going down you may consider making a personal self rescue kit like some firefighters use. A simple rappel system that's pre-rigged. It's not going to be comfortable but it's a survival system not a sport climbing set up. Basically a bag with rappel line, a friction device, belt and attachment, and some manner to attach it to a fixed object in the home. Hook it up, put on the belt, and friction rappel out the window to safety.

If you go with a ladder system make sure the rungs have a stand-off to keep it away from the building. Climbing down on the tips of your toes isn't easy and it's easy to slip and fall if the rungs lie flat against the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast