Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Start saving your money, something good comes our way soon!

Feedback Score
    I've worked with Galil's a bit when dealing with coalition partners, as well as the rifle the Galil is copied off of, the Finnish Valmet Rk62. I prefer the Galil SAR model, since it's the least boat anchor of them all. The Finnish guns have unparalleled quality of workmanship in the Kalashnikov world, unless you throw in the SiG 550 series.

If the Galil can be upgraded to 21st Century standards, and that's a big if, it might be an interesting option outside of the more common Stoner designs that are dominant in the US. There are significant challenges with optics mounting, ergonomics, and balance point with these guns.

This was at Erna 2008, which is an International Long-Range Recce competition the Estonians have each year.

This is at FinnSniper 2008. One of the Estonian teams was using the Galil 7.62 NATO Galatz as a sniper support weapon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ok, Grant- February is just around the corner. What's the latest scoop?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't like to voice dissent, but my problem with Israeli weapons is that they seem like purpose built, practical weapons but usually end up being underwhelming. I remember being told how the Galil was the answer to the AK and AR. I found it to be not so suitable for me. Same with the Tavor. Wanted to like it very much. It just doesn't feel right. In news clips it seems like the Israelis export their domestic made weapons and just use CAR-15s and Glocks.

But more weapons available is never bad and will make someone happy.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don't like to voice dissent, but my problem with Israeli weapons is that they seem like purpose built, practical weapons but usually end up being underwhelming. I remember being told how the Galil was the answer to the AK and AR. I found it to be not so suitable for me. Same with the Tavor. Wanted to like it very much. It just doesn't feel right. In news clips it seems like the Israelis export their domestic made weapons and just use CAR-15s and Glocks.

But more weapons available is never bad and will make someone happy.
    Interesting quote on the Tavor there.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Interesting quote on the Tavor there.
    Seconded. What don't you like about the Tavor? It's one of the most ergonomic and practical sporting/combat rifles available to civilians, IMO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    On the subject of answer to the AK and AR? What about SCAR?

Feedback Score
    not directed @ LRRPF (love ya bro)

The 7.62 Galatz I shot on a JCET in India was not very well suited to use as an SSR. The side mounting scope mounts were worthless. Also the brass kept getting damaged during extraction, which looked to prevent reloading, an issue for countries with smallish military budgets.

not to mention the SR 25's we brought for them to check out were night and day better...night and day

Feedback Score
    Really looking forward to the ACE. However alot of people seem really down on the price, almost to the point of frothing at the mouth. I'm hoping they come down in price just like the Tavors. Always been a fan of the Galils and Valmets, especially the RK95, so the ACE really appeals to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    On the subject of answer to the AK and AR? What about SCAR?
    I'm not in a position to answer such a question. I just remember people saying the Galil was as robust as an AK and accurate as an AR. I found it to be interesting looking but not so ergonomic and some of its finer points a bit exaggerated. Initially it seemed like this radical departure but it has its flaws. It should be said that at one time that the Alaskan State Patrol (IIRC. It might have been another Alaskan agency if not) used or considered Galils due to some of the more extreme weather. There were some departments elsewhere in the US that used them. I believe everyone is using ARs now, of course.

Personally speaking, I tried to like the SCAR as well and would only spend my own money on the 7.62. I don't think it is bad overall but the reciprocating charging handle is annoying and I don't like the stock. You can modify it with a longer rail and collapsing M4 style buttstock but then you could just buy a really nice SR-25/AR-10. Interesting rifle. I would say proven given its service. Just not a rifle I would go out of my way for at this point.
    Again, that's just me.
    Last edited by Firefly; 01-28-15 at 06:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I found it to be interesting looking but not so ergonomic and some of its finer points a bit exaggerated. Initially it seemed like this radical departure but it has its flaws.
    I'd say that the Galil's main negative is that it's relatively heavy when compared to an AR-15 or AKM. It will be interesting to see if the new Ace is lighter than the original Galil.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast