Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State .308

Feedback Score

Palmetto State .308

Has anyone gotten one of these yet (either a receiver and built it, or one of their guns)?

We were adding the pieces and parts costs up at work the other day and were coming up with about a $900 "AR-10".

USMA84DAB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No experience, but I thought about building an AR308/10 but with the new DPMS Gen2 I'm holding off to see the direction of the AR308. I suspect if must manufacturers go the way of the Gen2 the Gen1 prices will come down a bit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've read some reports of their dimensions being incompatible with others' parts (such as their upper being too low so the hammer actually hits the carrier instead of the firing pin, lower take down/pivot pins out of place, incompatibility with Geissele triggers, ect.). I'd wait for them to iron out the bugs...
    Last edited by Plasman; 10-06-14 at 02:08.

Feedback Score
    Tagged for updates.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    I bought one of their complete PA-10 lowers and complete uppers (the 16" with stainless steel barrel and MI 15" SS freefloat rail). I put it together a few days ago but have been waiting for my scope and mount to get it out to shoot. So far the fit and finish look good, the BCG and castle nut are properly staked, and they are supposedly on par with their 'Premium' line of rifles, which have proven to be very reliable and good quality. For under $1,000 for a complete 308 AR with MI rail, they seem like a great option for a lower budget 308AR. If they prove to be reliable and accurate, they should sell a lot of them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    I've read some reports of their dimensions being incompatible with others' parts (such as their upper being too low so the hammer actually hits the carrier instead of the firing pin, lower take down/pivot pins out of place, incompatibility with Geissele triggers, ect.). I'd wait for them to iron out the bugs...
    There are reported issues of incompatibility between the barreled/complete Palmetto 308 upper and NON-Palmetto (but DPMS-patterned) 308 lowers. IMHO, this is not unexpected since there's really no TDP/"mil-spec" standard for the .308 caliber AR platform. However, buyers should be aware that if you're using Palmetto parts to assemble a 308, you should use both their upper and lower receivers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    I talked to a guy recently that said the same thing. He bought one and he can't change the trigger because no other trigger will fit. They apparently have a crappy trigger and it can't be changed out. That alone is enough for me to stay away.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ^Rb View Post
    there's really no TDP/"mil-spec" standard for the .308 caliber AR platform.
    This is the biggest drawback to the AR308. If manufacturers would agree on standards (and stick with them) it would go a long way for consumers.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic41 View Post
    I talked to a guy recently that said the same thing. He bought one and he can't change the trigger because no other trigger will fit. They apparently have a crappy trigger and it can't be changed out. That alone is enough for me to stay away.

Not the case at all. Geissele and PSA are working together to iron out issues mentioned above. PSA tested the lower with several G triggers before releasing but ran into some minute dimensional issues.

As posted above just wait a bit and let the "growing pains" work out. These could work out great for a .308 fun gun!
    Last edited by Split66; 10-06-14 at 20:29.
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ2zEv1ukzyH_aeFG6-amwPk7CUBz7b4URcTQ8lFFl-LOLSDkQ

"BRD, much like the Wutang clan, is nothing to f@ck with"

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Just purchased one of the complete lowers myself. Can you elaborate on these trigger fitment issues? All the LR-308/SR25 platform lowers I've put together just used standard FCG's. I'd like to believe that PSA has cranked out enough lowers in their day to get standard triggers to fit. Unless it's some kind of proprietary trigger to PSA.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast