Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State .308

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKAC View Post
    Just purchased one of the complete lowers myself. Can you elaborate on these trigger fitment issues? All the LR-308/SR25 platform lowers I've put together just used standard FCG's. I'd like to believe that PSA has cranked out enough lowers in their day to get standard triggers to fit. Unless it's some kind of proprietary trigger to PSA.
    It's not the trigger fit in the lower that's the issue. The PA-10s use the same FCG as their AR-15 guns, so the triggers fit into the PA-10 lower just fine, and work when the upper and lower aren't together. The problem is, some of the aftermarket trigger hammers catch on the Bolt Carrier as it's coming to the rear, causing it to bind. Geissele, for example, is aware of this issue with the SSA-E in the PA-10 and has stated, "Our modification required .015" off of the tail end of the hammer under the sear and we had this customer inform us that they ended up having to take off .025" and this trigger works properly in this receiver set."

So, in a nutshell, if you have a PA-10 lower, and your aftermarket trigger doesn't allow the BCG to cycle to the rear, there will need to be some slight machining of the hammer of that trigger. If it's a Geissele trigger, I've heard they will do the machining for free with a $10 cost for shipping, and I've also heard PSA will do the hammer machining as well. I'm hoping and assuming that PSA will come up with a more long term fix though, as this is unacceptable.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    Not the case at all. Geissele and PSA are working together to iron out issues mentioned above. PSA tested the lower with several G triggers before releasing but ran into some minute dimensional issues.

As posted above just wait a bit and let the "growing pains" work out. These could work out great for a .308 fun gun!
    This right here is probably why none of the big players I care about have stepped into this - a company like KAC or LMT (or even LT) would take issues like that and sell nothing until it's sorted out, PSA just moved the product so that there are offerings out there... and this is why that chasm in cost differential exists.

The moment Noveske, DD, BCM, or a non-MWS LMT offering rolls out, it's liable to become the standard. It'll probably be an LR-308 (basically DPMS, except DPMS is pushing their own G-II revision oddly enough), but until there is a standard there's nothing worth really committing to in my mind (and the PSA offering as it stands now is a bit to low-bid in those regards to be a threat to define the market standard)... exactly as B-Cart said, an issue like that is enough for me to question the entire platform, and since I don't like the rest of the complete build parts any better than the M&P10, then the S&W absolutely trounces it for value to me.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    This right here is probably why none of the big players I care about have stepped into this - a company like KAC or LMT (or even LT) would take issues like that and sell nothing until it's sorted out, PSA just moved the product so that there are offerings out there... and this is why that chasm in cost differential exists.

The moment Noveske, DD, BCM, or a non-MWS LMT offering rolls out, it's liable to become the standard. It'll probably be an LR-308 (basically DPMS, except DPMS is pushing their own G-II revision oddly enough), but until there is a standard there's nothing worth really committing to in my mind (and the PSA offering as it stands now is a bit to low-bid in those regards to be a threat to define the market standard)... exactly as B-Cart said, an issue like that is enough for me to question the entire platform, and since I don't like the rest of the complete build parts any better than the M&P10, then the S&W absolutely trounces it for value to me.
    Agreed on your points; I, too, would not ever commit my $$ to a Palmetto-made 308 offering.

That said, there are some very good 308 receiver offerings right now that fit an unofficial "standard". Namely:

1. Mega MATEN
    2. Aero Precision
    3. Rainier Arms

(The latter two are surprisingly affordable)

However, until economies of scale take effect (likely with a "standard"), the .308 AR platform is still "pay to play".
    Last edited by ^Rb; 10-07-14 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I'd agree that an offering by KAC, LMT, or Mega would be a better choice in terms of quality, it just depends on the users end game. I ordered a lower yesterday as a foundation to start a 12.5" 308 SBR for my SDN6 to live on. When all is said and done, I'll have a sub $1400 gun, including engraving and the BATFE's $200 cut.

While I'm a great fan of KAC and the above mentioned, for the intended purposes the gun is to serve, which is pure fun, and because I'd like to venture into another caliber SBR, it will humbly serve it's purpose. Yeah at the end of the day it's basically a CMMG MK3 mixed with some PSA, but in my particular case an SR25 would be full blown overkill.

As I don't yet have mine in hand I'll be following the thread to see how opinions develop as more users get them in hand.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd agree that an offering by KAC, LMT, or Mega would be a better choice in terms of quality, it just depends on the users end game.
    I agree Graham, my personal endgame is purely a fun .308 gun at "low" cost, therefore I'm not writing off PSA at all at this point ( or the Smith for that matter ).

A BCM AR10 would be tits btw......
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ2zEv1ukzyH_aeFG6-amwPk7CUBz7b4URcTQ8lFFl-LOLSDkQ

"BRD, much like the Wutang clan, is nothing to f@ck with"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    basically a CMMG MK3 mixed with some PSA, but in my particular case an SR25 would be full blown overkill.
    That's the area where I'm at - in the exact discussions I've had with F2S, I'm trying to get as close as I can to the SR25APC setup, but since I can afford to have a slightly heavier setup with less impressive barrel life/accuracy and won't put enough rounds through to benefit a ton from the E3 type bolt, so I'm looking in that same area.

I'd love to have a 7.62 (LR-308 type) URX-4 from KAC (or BCM KMR), but it sounds like KAC isn't going to release those, or when they do it'll be pretty late on in that product cycle; but at present the MI offering is the closest thing - the RainierArms ultramatch Shilen blank unit for the barrel is probably close enough, and the AeroPrecision sourced receivers/extension/LPK/BCG is still a ~1600 rifle before adding gucci furniture and a GSSA-E; I just don't want to end up with a technological dead end if one of the big players comes in with a great complete system, or if if would require spending more than it would cost me to get a LM8-MWS
    Last edited by TehLlama; 10-07-14 at 21:30.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If price trends continue as they are now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of the PSA approach $750 during the winter sale's. I'll buy one if they get anywhere close to that. Shaving a hammer or even issues with mixing uppers and lowers is not something I would have a problem with, considering my intended use...
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    If price trends continue as they are now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of the PSA approach $750 during the winter sale's. I'll buy one if they get anywhere close to that. Shaving a hammer or even issues with mixing uppers and lowers is not something I would have a problem with, considering my intended use...
    Agreed - I'm hardly adverse to dealing with some hassles to have a compelling product - but until that's cheaper than the CMMG offering (which is quite good, and also compatible with their G3 magazine lower as far as I can tell) then it's not the one I'd go with.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yes.. I've no complaints with my MKIII and don't regret buying it in the least. It's a hell of a rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Agreed - I'm hardly adverse to dealing with some hassles to have a compelling product - but until that's cheaper than the CMMG offering (which is quite good, and also compatible with their G3 magazine lower as far as I can tell) then it's not the one I'd go with.
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I purchased the PSA complete lower along with their matching upper & upper parts as a platform along with the CMMG MK3 12.5 barrel, RMK11 hand guard and matching bolt. After some numbers work this proved to be the most cost effective option. I've yet to hear anyone give any of the CMMG MK3 rifles a bad review, but I've got no hands on experience with them.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast