Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The great .308 debate

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm with TrackMagic as far as building an LR-308 setup, and leaning heavily on what Rainier Arms stocks to at least figure out approximate final cost. I'd also use taking an S&W M&P10 and adding parts to it as the benchmark for performance for cost, since that's already really close to a solid general use one and is compatible with most aftermarket parts that should make sense (i.e. upgraded furniture as needed, a handguard that works adequately, Geissele SSA/G2S or SSA-E/G2S-E, etc.).

For my part I'm waiting to see if any bigger manufacturers step into the game with an LR-308 type setup (Noveske, BCM, DD), otherwise I'll just start with an Aero Precision Receiver set, stuff it with DPMS G1 type parts, run a custom barrel and MI SS-KeyMod handguard, MagPul/KAC furniture and sights, run AXTS/BCM/BAD ambi parts and call it good.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    From your list, I would pick the LaRue. The scar doesn't use popular mags which is no go for shtf, and the other is heavy as you say. You might also consider the M&P10, as its cheaper and a lot easier to get than the LaRue. Then again DPMS has the new G2 rifles which are likely to change the AR10 field just as the gen1 DPMS did. I think there are already G2 free float rails, but I haven't checked if they offer keymod yet. I chose to go with mlok personally.
    The larue is the closest to what I want, thought it is the most expensive with a crazy wait time.

The m&p is a compelling value but it is 18 inch vs my preferred 16 inches and would take quite a bit of work to get it where I want it. By the time I drop in a keymod rail, trigger, new grip, stock, etc... I am probably close to 2k. If I am gonna spend that much, may as well save a little more and go with a higher end 308 from the get go or build it.
    Last edited by Bang4Buck; 10-07-14 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I'm with TrackMagic as far as building an LR-308 setup, and leaning heavily on what Rainier Arms stocks to at least figure out approximate final cost. I'd also use taking an S&W M&P10 and adding parts to it as the benchmark for performance for cost, since that's already really close to a solid general use one and is compatible with most aftermarket parts that should make sense (i.e. upgraded furniture as needed, a handguard that works adequately, Geissele SSA/G2S or SSA-E/G2S-E, etc.).

For my part I'm waiting to see if any bigger manufacturers step into the game with an LR-308 type setup (Noveske, BCM, DD), otherwise I'll just start with an Aero Precision Receiver set, stuff it with DPMS G1 type parts, run a custom barrel and MI SS-KeyMod handguard, MagPul/KAC furniture and sights, run AXTS/BCM/BAD ambi parts and call it good.

Let's says hypothetically I decided to build, I would certainly need some guidance on building a lightweight battle ready 308 that was following the loose 308 standard kac/DPMS gen1(assuming I did not screw up that is the basic platform...might have butchered it and shown my ignorance). From another thread I read, I could do this:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3459 For barrel

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3479. Mega upper/lower with keymod rail

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=2270 BCG

Could I then go with:

http://tradingplacepawn.com/shop-onl...a-trigger.html Trigger

For sights I assume magpul MBUS pro are solid. Running those on my 6920 and very happy with them.

That brings my cost to about 1750

And what about a stock? My preference would be magpul STR or something close to it. Not sure if STR would fit and if I would need mil spec or commerical spec?

What else am I missing and what are suggested quality parts for grip, receiver extension, gas block tube, misc. lower parts, etc....?

From what little I know of rifles the most important parts are barrel, BCG, and trigger. I do not want to skimp on those.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    Let's says hypothetically I decided to build, I would certainly need some guidance on building a lightweight battle ready 308 that was following the loose 308 standard kac/DPMS gen1(assuming I did not screw up that is the basic platform...might have butchered it and shown my ignorance). From another thread I read, I could do this:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3459 For barrel

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3479. Mega upper/lower with keymod rail

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=2270 BCG

Could I then go with:

http://tradingplacepawn.com/shop-onl...a-trigger.html Trigger

For sights I assume magpul MBUS pro are solid. Running those on my 6920 and very happy with them.

That brings my cost to about 1750

And what about a stock? My preference would be magpul STR or something close to it. Not sure if STR would fit and if I would need mil spec or commerical spec?

What else am I missing and what are suggested quality parts for grip, receiver extension, gas block tube, misc. lower parts, etc....?

From what little I know of rifles the most important parts are barrel, BCG, and trigger. I do not want to skimp on those.
    You might be able to cut back on the weight some more by going with an LR308 pattern receiver set and the Fortis Switch or MI SSK rail.

For the buffer system go with a VLTOR A5 receiver extension (6 or 7 position depending on the stock you get), milspec diameter stock, AR-10 action spring, and AR-15 H3 buffer.

The gas block and gas tube are the same as AR-15 parts. The LPK you get will need to be LR308 compatible (enlarged bolt catch and larger mag release).
    Last edited by Plasman; 10-07-14 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    EMOD stock is really undervalued as far as durable, heavy, effective units go, and they come for really cheap with an A5 setup - I'd certainly give that a try. Defeats some of the lightweight overall, but can help with balance. Otherwise, I'd just procrastinate and buy a used one - with the new BCM unit coming out, tons of people on this board are about to 'discover' they no longer want an otherwise perfectly good buttstock.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Limited experience with the LMT and none with the LaRue, but I love my SCAR 17S. Owned it for over three years, and it's a better weapon than I have the skill or money to truly take advantage of. Accurate, reliable, light weight, with very little recoil, and the smoothest operating system I've ever seen. The trigger may not be the best, but it's not nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. The biggest handicap the SCAR had was magazines, but the shortage of 17S/H mags seems to be over, and they're easy to find on Midway or Brownells.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    The biggest handicap the SCAR had was magazines, but the shortage of 17S/H mags seems to be over, and they're easy to find on Midway or Brownells.
    For my part, the worry is the WHY behind the S17 magazines being really available - it's hard not to assume that FNH-USA isn't selling as many of the complete weapons as they were hoping to. The aftermarket isn't exactly throwing magazines at it, and things like the Mossberg MVP that also use the SR25/MWS/LR308 magwell ones are becoming fairly standard.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For my part, the worry is the WHY behind the S17 magazines being really available - it's hard not to assume that FNH-USA isn't selling as many of the complete weapons as they were hoping to. The aftermarket isn't exactly throwing magazines at it, and things like the Mossberg MVP that also use the SR25/MWS/LR308 magwell ones are becoming fairly standard.
    The "why" is pretty simple, production finally caught up with demand. The early, American made mags had problems, and the story goes that most got sent back when they didn't meet FN's standards. Coupled with reports of people getting some of these early, American made mags, and them not working or being rusty, this story makes sense. Once the first batches of good mags started reaching people in mid '12, the mag shortage pretty much came to an end. All of the ones I've purchased have been fine.

As for SR25 mags, there are more than a few aftermarket lowers for the SCAR designed to accept them. I've just never seen the reason. SCAR H mags work fine, and I actually like the little not-MagPul base pad on the mags.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am going to follow this thread closely, it is relevant and similar to my decision making right now.

I recently purchased a stripped Aero Precision lower (figured I might as well get the critical and "ban-able") part and I am taking my time researching which upper to go with.

I noticed that Ares Armor has a good deal running currently on their 308 upper (pre-buy for around $800), but I am not in a rush and want to get the most bang for my buck. Of course one of the greatest advantages of the AR system is it's modularity so I can see myself having a few uppers that share a lower.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Like Alpha said, .mil required a lot of mags once FN caught up civvie market had a chance to eat. SCAR 17s still sells very well for a .308 and even if future lack of mags worried you, there are options for aftermarket lowers which is NOT the registered part of the rifle. FN will continue to back the SCAR platform for a long time to come, even if SOCOM ditched it, that would have little to no impact on the civilian side. FN is one of the oldest weapons manufacturers on the planet with plenty of government contracts (US and foreign) including many other countries running the SCAR (even poor African countries). FN also has a solid history of backing all their guns with not only warranty but parts availability. Bottom line if they support FS2000 & PS90 why would you be worried about the SCAR not being supported? I am amused by all the SCAR hatred.

OP keep in mind, any decent .308 will cost a minimum of $2,500... But then you have to factor in cost of purchasing mags, quality ammo which is pricey, good glass, suppressor, spare parts, other various accessories... Cost of the gun itself is only a fraction of the cost of ownership...:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast