Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sarco Inc. FN-FAL Parts Kits

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    Buck, is it easy for a semi-mechanically inclined shooter to assemble a parts kit on a quality receiver, or is a job best left to an experienced gunsmith?
    FALs are very easy to assemble, if you have to proper tools... A quality barrel vice, receiver wrench, bench vice or better yet a hydrolic press, torque wrench, 7.62 head space gauges, a micrometer, and a butt stock tool with a good set of gun smith screwdrivers are really all you need... If you are going to build more than 5 FALs in your lifetime, I would buy the stuff... Other wise I would send the receiver, bolt & carrier, with the barrel off to a reputable FAL smith...

I know Rich at Century Gun Works outside of Reno NV offers a service he calls his "turn key" upper, and for around $100 he will barrel and head space your FAL upper and provide the correct locking shoulder.... Then just drop it onto your assembled Lower and your good to go...

LINK

Just my .02

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I moved this into Other Assault Rifles since the thread has progressed beyond a simple thumbs up.

rubberneck, building a FAL is easier than building an AK, but harder than assembling an AR. There are some tools you need to do it right, and I personally (just my opinion though) don't think it's cost effective to build only one.

Tools n' stuff can be found at www.gunthings.com
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've had Rich Saunders at CGW do some work for me and he's definitely good to go!
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It's definitely one of the easiest to work on and build. It's also relatively cheap to do so and accessorize. It is a joy to maintain relative to other firearms.

If you're interested in building a kit, getting an instructional DVD from Gunplumber (T. Mark Graham) is a great place to start. It's a great reference and will give you a good idea if you're confident enough. That being said, a monkey could put a FAL together.

I will say that FAL home builds have started their own cult following. Gary Jeter (a minor deity and a hell of a nice guy) coined it as WECSOG (Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing).

The first thing you'll need is a dremel.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123