Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you actually fired/drew a handgun in a CCW experience

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

How many of you actually fired/drew a handgun in a CCW experience

have fired your handgun in a CCW experience or drew your gun, both of which the LEO's were called.

Was your pistol seized as evidence?

How long was it in evidence or how long has it been in evidence?

Do you think you will ever get it back?

How expensive of a gun is it in the evidence locker?

Thank you for your answers...

BTW: If not you, Then a friend of a brother in laws cousin will work for a story anyway.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-12-14 at 09:23. Reason: Accurized thread title
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The problem with these types of threads is the statutes of limitations and civil law. Most folks are smart enough not to share their experiences due to one of those two factors.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Yes, I agree, but not giving details on the incident. Question then, Being a person carrying concealed or open, with or without a CHL,
    have you had an encounter with LEO and your handgun was collected as evidence?

How long now?

Just should have worded the OP a little differently.

Thanks Mike.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    The problem with these types of threads is the statutes of limitations and civil law. Most folks are smart enough not to share their experiences due to one of those two factors.
    Not ever a good idea to share those stories.

Just to give you an idea. Your question is going to vary wildly on jurisdiction. Some will never EVER let a handgun come back out. Others may be a bit more forgiving.

Feedback Score
    Nobody in their right mind would enter personal experiences of this nature on the internet. In addition, you will likely find a different answer for each jurisdiction. I can tell you that two LE shootings involving LEO's I work with, in adjoining counties varied drastically. One county LEO had his gun in evidence for a week and a half. Another in the neighboring county had his in evidence for 3 years. Both were no-brainer good shoots.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Nobody in their right mind would enter personal experiences of this nature on the internet. In addition, you will likely find a different answer for each jurisdiction. I can tell you that two LE shootings involving LEO's I work with, in adjoining counties varied drastically. One county LEO had his gun in evidence for a week and a half. Another in the neighboring county had his in evidence for 3 years. Both were no-brainer good shoots.
    That is really the kind of info I was looking for. Wondering if the time the gun is in evidence is different for a civilian and a LEO?
    My S&W revolver didn't stay long in evidence. A couple of months. Suspect was charged with Attempted Capital Murder. Back then, there was still the speedy trial act. Our County Attorney did not get the case on the docket in the time needed so charges were dropped. The CA was a Democrat through and through. I am a Republican, my Chief and the Chief of Detectives were Democrats.
    Back in those days politics played into decisions. I called every state Senator and Representative airing my distaste for the loophole for felons and Speedy Trial. Whether I had any influence or not, it got changed. Don't care if I did or not, as long as it did.
    Than You.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is on the LEO side where I'm but I've talked to a few who were involved in OIS. They were told to report to the firearms lab and relinquish their duty weapon for immediate testing. IIRC, a few of their duty rounds were shot into a tank or apparatus. They also collect unfired rounds from their magazine. A trigger pull test was also done for the weight.
    In an AD/ND situation, officers would have to report to the firearms training division. The staff (armorer) will function test your gun and look over it to rule out mechanical issues.
    With all that said all the officers I talked to never had their guns seized and tagged. The only time I see that happening is if there was a shooting that was VERY questionable and both the district attorney and the division want it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was involved in a fatal SD shooting several tears ago in Detroit here is my experience... 3 yrs ago I was involved in a fatal self defense shooting
    I was arrested, questioned, charged [felony homicide]and released in about five hours, two days later my cpl was suspended. I was cleared and had my cpl reinstated a little over two weeks later. My pistol was kept, sent to MSP for ballistics [this happened in detroit they don't have a crime lab hence the trip to MSP] and after 7 months of 2 or 3 calls a week I picked up my hk p2000 scratched and nicked up and the rear sight knocked loose from being dropped, and they emptied my three mags of 357 sig gold dot into a baggy and threw it in a drawer said they couldn't let me walk out with a gun and ammo!!!!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't even see why they need your gun if it's a good shoot. And I certainly don't see why or how they can legally confiscate your property indefinitely.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    IF shots are fired and they take effect (Hit the bag guy) the firearm will be taken into evidence until the Grand Jury returns a "No Bill" and does not indite, or until the trial is complete.

This will happen even for on-duty LEO's acting in the course of their official duties. The average time for one of our officers to get their pistol back is about 8 months. If it's a high profile incident or there are civil lawsuits pending, well it may be a while. It is what it is...

This is why many recommend you have a spare gun that is vetted and set aside. The person you shot may have friends and relatives. These individuals may have issue with your decision making process. They may want to visit you and express their displeasure. It would be a bad time to be gunless, have a type of gun you haven't trained on, or a gun that doesn't work with your holster, spare magazines and mag holders.

If shots are NOT fired, and a CCW holder draws a firearm and points it at someone, then it depends on the situation. If the CCW holder is acting within all local and state laws, and stops a Felony offense of violence in progress without shots fired, I can't see how the gun would be taken into evidence. At least in my jurisdiction. The responding LEO should secure the weapon until things are sorted out, and that LEO has an idea what really happened. The LEO may check to ensure the gun has not been fired. This would be done by ensuring it's fully loaded and by any witnesses available and willing to talk to the Police. (Another reason to fully load your gun and magazines.)

Now if you have a CCW holder who's acting like a moron and pointing his gun at people that he shouldn't have put at gunpoint, well that person can expect to have the gun seized for evidence and charged appropriately.

Take my advice for what it's worth. I'm not an attorney, just a LEO supervisor with 23 years experience in an inter-city agency.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-13-14 at 09:09.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast