Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've got the .308 itch. Need help making a sound decision.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    OP, I've been there and back. I've owned a KAC EMC and EMR, LaRue OBR, LMT LM8, LWRCi REPR, and a bunch of other .308 gas guns in AR and other patterns. I was in exactly your situation throughout that train ride: don't need a .308 gas gun, have no real use for a .308 gas gun, want one anyway. In the end, I sold all my .308 gas guns and the emotional side of my brain ended up costing me $$$$.

I now shoot a 22" 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun for long distance stuff, a 17" 6.5 Grendel AR for midrange silhouette whacking, and 5.56 ARs for everything else. I've thought about another .308AR on and off over the last year, but have not succumbed and am happier for it!

That's just my story; good luck with your decision.
    I feel your pain. I've lost more than I've spent on 1911's and 2011's. I don't view firearms as investments. There may be stories of appreciating value, but for the most part, they loose value the first time you pull the trigger. This is one I plan to keep.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The real question you should be asking yourself is LMT or Larue? Thats a real question. Thats a true head to head battle of two great guns. The Larue doesn't offer a 16 CL barrel , I don't think. And LMT's shoots sub moa with a 16 CL tube. Larue have a long wait list to get them. I think the reason is they have better marketing and less production capacity. Either way, both guns are awesome.
    I'm concerned I might be out to lunch on a unicorn 308 setup, since I had the LT (PredatOBR 18), but I cashed in on that massive wait and sold mine since it wasn't exactly what I wanted on all the unimportant stuff (I'd prefer Magpul furniture, GSSA-E, and KAC Control accessories), and the LMT still looks a bit heavy for my uses, but on paper in every single regard the slick MWS looks like 'the' answer anyway. I also want to have a 1200yd capable bolt gun (probably will be a 20-24" 260Rem or 6.5CM KMR-LRS stocked 870), but I'm just about the point where I'm waiting for somebody to make a non-QC Barrel (no PredatOBR or MWS) type setup under $2k that plays nicely with the aftermarket (LMT 'Defender' 308, a DD/BCM/Noveske offering) that I can turn into my own specced SR25-ACC knockoff so I can have the budget to get two really nice rifles that are beyond my need or capability.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The LMT is an amazing platform. It sits shoulder to shoulder to the Knights Arm. gun at almost half the cost. Even no name guns like POF or joe blow AR10 are going to cost you around $2k. With no Military contracts to prove hard use. I have heard mostly poor reviews of the POF and watched one throw up on itself on saturday. IMO, they don't make quality guns.

The real question you should be asking yourself is LMT or Larue? Thats a real question. Thats a true head to head battle of two great guns. The Larue doesn't offer a 16 CL barrel , I don't think. And LMT's shoots sub moa with a 16 CL tube. Larue have a long wait list to get them. I think the reason is they have better marketing and less production capacity. Either way, both guns are awesome.

Google Larue vs LMT MWS and you will learn a lot. These are two military grade weapons. We ran the shit out of my MWS, 16 CL and NEVER had a malf. I didn't run it much with a can , but many others have. I have a shit load of AR's and cans, and I have never seen a need for an adjustable gas block. Nice but not necessary.

I strongly urge you to NOT get a POF.

If you want a 308 gas gun, here is my list: LMT, Larue, Scar, Knights.

An LMT can be had for $2,500. If you get an LMT with SS 20 inch barrel like the Larue offering, it will cost in the $3k range, just like Larue.

Good luck.

PB
    Thanks for the feedback Pappabear. But you are referencing POF and I mentioned PWS. How does PWS stand up to LMT? The newer PWS Mk2 are built with an adjustable gas block. This feature may be noteworthy for suppressed shooting. As for Larue, I'm not planning to spend what they are asking. What's more, I'd like the 16" barrel profile. I will definitely buy an LMT if those are my only two choices. Thanks again for your input.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    whats wrong with assembling one? CMT Tactical billet upper and lower sets are nice. very nice.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was in the same situation as you and went with the LMT LM8 Slick. Prior to my purchase of the LMT I considered the PWS Mk216, SCAR, and Colt 901. I actually bought the Colt 901. It was fine and shot great but I did not do my due diligence prior to buying to fully understand that basically it's not easy to get parts from Colt if something major (like the bolt or BCG) go TU. And, end of the day, it just wasn't quite what I wanted.

I renewed my focus to get the LMT when I finally was able to fondle one at a local shop. I live in the hometown of PWS and was leaning that way until I held the LMT. I will say the PWS is nice.

What swayed me was the ruggedness, modularity of the barrel system, parts availability and compatibility with other AR10 platforms and, last but not least, it has an established record as being a great platform in actual combat. I put a Trijicon TA11 308 on mine and I love the set up. Yes, it's a bit heavier than the others but the slick is a bit lighter than the railed version and it works for what I want to do with it.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Aero Precision is also running 20% this weekend on their M5 308 matched receiver sets.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Of your choices, I would definitely go with the LMT.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12