Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've got the .308 itch. Need help making a sound decision.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I've got the .308 itch. Need help making a sound decision.

I'm developing a bad case of the "I want'a"! I know there is no real need, but there is a strong want. What to do? I'm a recreational shooter. I spent a couple of years doing the 3 gun thing and have cooled off. I have a 12.5" suppressed SBR and my gamer gun is an 18" rifle length gas system that I am in the beginning stages of converting into an SPR setup. The barrel is the 18" SS WOA SPR and is amazingly accurate. I just swapped scopes for a Vortex 2.5-10x32. Very nice glass and will give me increased range with this setup. These rifles satisfy most of my home defense, run & gun, SHTF scenario needs. But they aren't the hard hitting, heavy weight boxer landing the knockout blows like a 308! I really just want a 308 for its terminal ballistics, round penetration and long range capabilities. My target purchase is a 16" 308 from either LMT or PWS.

Getting past the why, the next question is what am I going to do with it? What's the intended purpose? This is where I struggle. Down here in NOLA, we don't have long range options. The only one I know of is private and I don't plan to join. Matches would be an option, but not very likely. This is where the need outweighs the want. I will not have many opportunities to really stretch the legs of a 308. 100 yards is child's play. I would commit myself to attending one class per year to refresh and hone long range skills. If the bug takes over, I may look into more. In the end, this may be more a trophy than a shooter.

Cost is not an issue. I have the funds to buy whatever and put decent glass on top. From my .223 experience, I know enough to screw up a 308! LOL. There are modifications I'd make to suit my personal preference and a silencer would be in the works. Adding it all up, I'm in around $7k. Is it worth having that sitting in the safe? The emotional side of me says yes. The logical side says no. What to do? What am I missing and or not thinking about? Anyone else struggle with a purchase like this? I need someone to push me over the edge or just yank me back!
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Get an LMT MWS and don't look back.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've had the itch myself and did just what Markm said. My LMT should be at my LGS today. I could have built one for less but I really like the modularity of the LMT system. I'm taking the easy way out and paying for it but in the long run its the right way for me to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you weren't planning on getting a suppressor I'd say MWS all the way (since you don't plan on carrying it a lot and are just shooting precision), but since you are, the PWS' adjustable gas block is nice...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    yeah, this is my next big decision. PWS or LMT. The adjustable gas block sounds like the better way to go. Markm, what's the primary issue running an LMT suppressed? I'm assuming there's a gas issue... All that aside, y'all aren't helping my sensible side!
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You know... I can't remember how much suppressed we ran Pappabear's LMT before he sold it. He'd just got an additional barrel with a silencer mount... and then Sold it.

(mind you... he didn't sell it based on any performance issues... he cashed in on that mo fo.... and is talking about buying another one)

Let me email him a link to this thread and let him address the topic.... he may have some insight on PWS too. I think a buddy of ours bought one.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You know... I can't remember how much suppressed we ran Pappabear's LMT before he sold it. He'd just got an additional barrel with a silencer mount... and then Sold it.

(mind you... he didn't sell it based on any performance issues... he cashed in on that mo fo.... and is talking about buying another one)

Let me email him a link to this thread and let him address the topic.... he may have some insight on PWS too. I think a buddy of ours bought one.
    That would be great. The weight difference is negligble, so that's not a consideration. Which one will run best suppressed is a bigger deal. Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The LMT is an amazing platform. It sits shoulder to shoulder to the Knights Arm. gun at almost half the cost. Even no name guns like POF or joe blow AR10 are going to cost you around $2k. With no Military contracts to prove hard use. I have heard mostly poor reviews of the POF and watched one throw up on itself on saturday. IMO, they don't make quality guns.

The real question you should be asking yourself is LMT or Larue? Thats a real question. Thats a true head to head battle of two great guns. The Larue doesn't offer a 16 CL barrel , I don't think. And LMT's shoots sub moa with a 16 CL tube. Larue have a long wait list to get them. I think the reason is they have better marketing and less production capacity. Either way, both guns are awesome.

Google Larue vs LMT MWS and you will learn a lot. These are two military grade weapons. We ran the shit out of my MWS, 16 CL and NEVER had a malf. I didn't run it much with a can , but many others have. I have a shit load of AR's and cans, and I have never seen a need for an adjustable gas block. Nice but not necessary.

I strongly urge you to NOT get a POF.

If you want a 308 gas gun, here is my list: LMT, Larue, Scar, Knights.

An LMT can be had for $2,500. If you get an LMT with SS 20 inch barrel like the Larue offering, it will cost in the $3k range, just like Larue.

Good luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 10-14-14 at 11:48.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As far as suppressed, I think we ran it with a can on ONE TIME. There were no issues with function, but we didn't get enough shooting with the can on to give a good assessment.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    OP, I've been there and back. I've owned a KAC EMC and EMR, LaRue OBR, LMT LM8, LWRCi REPR, and a bunch of other .308 gas guns in AR and other patterns. I was in exactly your situation throughout that train ride: don't need a .308 gas gun, have no real use for a .308 gas gun, want one anyway. In the end, I sold all my .308 gas guns and the emotional side of my brain ended up costing me $$$$.

I now shoot a 22" 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun for long distance stuff, a 17" 6.5 Grendel AR for midrange silhouette whacking, and 5.56 ARs for everything else. I've thought about another .308AR on and off over the last year, but have not succumbed and am happier for it!

That's just my story; good luck with your decision.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast