Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get Tavor IDF model?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I can't seem to find the detailed differences between the IDF model and the "regular" model. The top rail is obviously different and the IDF model appears to be heavier.

Does anyone know the actual differences, if any, other than the rail and the included optic? Why would I buy the IDF model over the regular model and just pick my own optic?

Theres no such thing as the "IDF model". They are all the same. You have a barrel length and color option. And one model comes with the Mep 21 sight and no rail. This is what they are calling the "IDF Model", but it technically there's nothing IDF about it and it's the more expensive and worse option in my opinion. You lose the top rail and I hate that Mep sight. The retical is so big you can't even see small targets past 35 yards and hardly see human size targets past 50 and there's no adjustment. You're stuck with it.

People pick the "IDF Model" because it's marketed as what the IDF uses, but it's not. I can't find any pictures of any IDF actually using the Mep21. Looks to me like they all take them off and replace them with something else. I don't know they are issued the Mep21, if they are they don't seem to like it.
    Last edited by John Rambo; 11-16-14 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    I just picked mine up today. Initial impressions are good. It balances very well, although I have to say that it does weigh more than I anticipated. The trigger pull is heavy, as expected, but still decent.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
    Theres no such thing as the "IDF model". They are all the same. You have a barrel length and color option. And one model comes with the Mep 21 sight and no rail. This is what they are calling the "IDF Model", but it technically there's nothing IDF about it and it's the more expensive and worse option in my opinion. You lose the top rail and I hate that Mep sight.
    IDF Model is what's marketed here in the US in semiauto configuration. The main difference between it and the others is the top rail configuration. Supposedly the IDF uses the top configuration of the "IDF model" as opposed to the long rail. I didn't want a long top rail and I did want to try the Mepro 21, so it's a good match for me. I paid $1975 out the door. When you factor in the cost of a Mepro 21, the Tavor was actually less than I could have bought it with the long rail.

The retical is so big you can't even see small targets past 35 yards and hardly see human size targets past 50 and there's no adjustment. You're stuck with it.
    I'm actually pretty impressed so far. I can tell you one thing for sure. The triangle is much clearer to me than my Aimpoint H2's dot and my Eotech's circle. This might have something to do with my vision though. My close up vision is crap, but long distance is great. We'll see once I'm able to actually use it.

Feedback Score
    I know that it's been nine years and I thought that they were gone for sure, but iwi.us has five IDF Tavors in stock for some reason.
    https://iwi.us/product/tavor-sar-idf/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12