Thread: Need a little help with reloading

Feedback Score

Need a little help with reloading

Ok. a Friend of mine gave me a basic Lee Reloader Press which i think they call a C frame.(very simple single action type press), Lee Auto Prime II that fits standard shell holders, (feeds both small and large primers), and a Lee Auto disk powder measurer that has 24 measuring slots split up on 4 disks. i really know nothing about them. i have tried to do a bit of research on them but i feel like im reading a bunch of useless info since i dont know which info is going to steer me in the right direction. My question is , he told me all i need are dies and i will be set to load. im reading now that im going to need a scale to measure powder, a tool to trim the case down to proper size, tumbler to clean the cases, and im not sure if there is anything else i need to get going. the parts he gave me appear to be brand new, but kind of old. maybe he purchased them with intent to use them years ago and never did. im pretty sure everything that was supposed to be in each box, is in each box as there are no extra cut-outs for other parts that are not there.
    so assuming everything that came with these 3 parts is included, what else do i need to start pumping out my own rounds?
    Otherwise im thinking about calling RCBS and asking them to help me assemble an all in one kit that will get me up and running! thanks in advance for any positive feedback.

Feedback Score
    I got started with an RCBS kit and it made shooting somewhat affordable. In fact, if you look up what's in these kits, you'll have a very good idea of what you really need, all of which is available online. My go-to guys for reloading are MidwayUSA and they have absolutely anything you need for reloading, but shop around at other places, especially for components, because no one place always has the best price, as I've found out the hard way.

If you can't afford a kit, you can build your setup piece by piece. The first other thing you should get is a reloading manual, both for reliable how-to info and known tested loads. You will indeed want a scale to verify your Auto-Disk charges. If you're only reloading pistol brass, you might not need to trim. Rifle brass, you'll need to trim, which is the biggest PITA in reloading. Put in a video, preferably 300 or Gladiator or something inspiring like that.

Case tumblers aren't absolutely necessary if you load brass that's already in pretty good shape, as in immediately picked up after firing and put back in the box. But tumblers are not that expensive and sooner or later you'll run across nasty brass that needs a shine.

Dies, yes you'll need those, and there are other things that make reloading life easier. You'll be doing something and you think there's gotta be a better tool, and chances are, there is--but it may cost money, dangit.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyRoller View Post
    I got started with an RCBS kit and it made shooting somewhat affordable. In fact, if you look up what's in these kits, you'll have a very good idea of what you really need, all of which is available online. My go-to guys for reloading are MidwayUSA and they have absolutely anything you need for reloading, but shop around at other places, especially for components, because no one place always has the best price, as I've found out the hard way.

If you can't afford a kit, you can build your setup piece by piece. The first other thing you should get is a reloading manual, both for reliable how-to info and known tested loads. You will indeed want a scale to verify your Auto-Disk charges. If you're only reloading pistol brass, you might not need to trim. Rifle brass, you'll need to trim, which is the biggest PITA in reloading. Put in a video, preferably 300 or Gladiator or something inspiring like that.

Case tumblers aren't absolutely necessary if you load brass that's already in pretty good shape, as in immediately picked up after firing and put back in the box. But tumblers are not that expensive and sooner or later you'll run across nasty brass that needs a shine.

Dies, yes you'll need those, and there are other things that make reloading life easier. You'll be doing something and you think there's gotta be a better tool, and chances are, there is--but it may cost money, dangit.
    Pretty much agree. Straight wall pistol brass doesn't need to be trimmed. I'm using some 45 ACP brass that I have had and shot for 30 years. When the case neck splits, then it's time to toss it. If you use a carbide sizing die, you won't have to lube cases.

Bottle neck Rifle Brass as stated does need to be trimmed, but only every 3 reloadings or so if your dies and rifles' chamber are in spec., AND....you use a "Carbide Expander Ball" in your sizing die. This will minimize stretching of the case. You will also need to lube these case. Trimming equipment requires a Case Trimmer, and a deburring tool. You want to get a trimmer that you can put your electric drill on so you don't have to turn the mandrel by hand which is excruciating. The deburring tool also goes into a drill to deburr the inside and outside of the case mouth after trimming. For $250 you can get a Dillon Power Case trimmer that you mount on your press and every time you pull the handle, it trims a case. (I wish I had one, but someday).

Good luck

You do need a scale to verify powder charge weight.

Regarding tumblers...I wouldn't be without one and you can get the smaller ones at Midway for around $60-70 that will hold 200 rounds of .223. Dirty brass can scratch and wear out your dies. Pus when you get done loading your rifle rounds, you can use the tumbler for 10 minutes to get the lube off the cases.

Before anyone chimes in about tumbling live rounds, please know that the Ammo manufactures do this, I have spoken to Winchester and Federal about this, and have been doing it for 15 years without any accident. YMMV

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You can't skimp on the powder scale.

You don't need a case trimmer, but a headspace guage is an absolute MUST!

You can save yourself a lot of heartache by using the guage to verify that your rifle brass is sized right, and it tells you how long the brass is. I personally will let my brass get a little bit outside the case length dimension. I use a Lee Factory Crimp die to avoid having to trim slightly long cases. I generally get 2-3 loads from my brass, depending on the kind, and then I throw it in the recycle bucket.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v