Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P Compact 22 vs. M&P 22

Feedback Score

M&P Compact 22 vs. M&P 22

My wife and I went to the range last night and rented two 22s. (We are new shooters - first trip to the range after Pistol training class). We rented a brand new PPQ 22 and an old and tired M&P 22. We started with the PPQ 22 and it was a nice little gun that I expected my wife would like because of its size. After a hundred rounds or so, she asked if I was going to shoot "that other gun". So I tried the M&P. I had been very happy with my groups with the PPQ 22, but the group I shot with the M&P was obviously better. So, my wife tried the M&P and her groups were better too. Since we hated the sights on both guns (we are old and can't see black sights well at all - need white dots), I had to assume that the most significant difference was the trigger pull. (Frankly, both had a nice trigger action, but the M&P was a little lighter and easier to squeeze off a round.)

After shooting, we went to the sales counter and looked at the new M&P compact 22. We loved the sights and the gun in general, but we don't know what the trigger pull will be like. Has anyone here shot both models and could tell us what the differences are in the feel of the action? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    <TED>
    Last edited by tedj101; 10-21-14 at 05:38. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Are you asking about the trigger on the 22compact? It's pretty decent, light with a tactile wall and reset. It's a bit gritty stock but can be cleaned up with a bit of buffing and break in.
    Last edited by 35percent; 10-23-14 at 23:23.

Feedback Score
    Yes, we really liked the trigger on the M&P 22 which we rented. My wife liked the form factor of the M&P Compact 22 but they didn't have it for rent so we didn't have any way to determine if the trigger is similar. (Given that the M&P 22 is made by Walther and the Compact 22 by S&W, I saw no reason why they would be). We really would like to buy the Compact, but it is a bit nerve wracking to buy it without firing it given that we both found so much difference in performance between the P22 and the M&P 22.

Thanks!
    <TED>

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The compact is a much better gun and is easy to do trigger work on.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Here is a thread about the compact 22 with some good info:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Compact/page3

Based on Grant's rep on this site I would buy the compact one from S&W and skip the Umarex one.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedj101 View Post
    We are new shooters - first trip to the range after Pistol training class.
    Resist the urge to assess the accuracy or reliability of a .22 pistol in one range session. They're notoriously picky about ammo. 10 copies of the same model might shoot their best with 10 different brands of ammo.

When you buy a .22, plan to spend several range sessions testing ammo. Some loads will be very accurate, others will disappoint you, and some will not even function.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I sold my M&P 22 and would no longer buy either that one or the compact. They are not bad little plastic pistols for the price. But they're not that accurate. For myself, I've found that a .22 pistol that's set up the same as my carry platform, but has a different trigger, sights, and recoil, is not really a great training platform for my carry gun. And because I also don't have young kids to shoot the .22 pistol anymore, I have no compelling reason to own a light plastic M&P .22 pistol. The only .22 pistol I'm really interested in at this point is something that's capable of being customized (by me--without gunsmith intervention), that there's a large aftermarket for, and that's highly accurate. For me, that's the Ruger Mk 2/3 series of pistols.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I sold my M&P 22 and would no longer buy either that one or the compact. They are not bad little plastic pistols for the price. But they're not that accurate. For myself, I've found that a .22 pistol that's set up the same as my carry platform, but has a different trigger, sights, and recoil, is not really a great training platform for my carry gun. And because I also don't have young kids to shoot the .22 pistol anymore, I have no compelling reason to own a light plastic M&P .22 pistol. The only .22 pistol I'm really interested in at this point is something that's capable of being customized (by me--without gunsmith intervention), that there's a large aftermarket for, and that's highly accurate. For me, that's the Ruger Mk 2/3 series of pistols.
    I shot my compact M&P 22 at over 100yds at a 12X18 steel target. Hit is first shot with bulk .22. It is an accurate gun.

With that said, these types of guns are typically geared toward TRAINING and not bullseye.

C4

Feedback Score
    Grant,

I am really happy to hear that. Frankly, I thought the compact was a better gun, my only concern is the trigger. No one seems to have one for rent and it appears to be heavier (7lbs) in reviews. However, if you can work on it to make it "right", that would be a viable solution.

Many thanks!

<TED>

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedj101 View Post
    Grant,

I am really happy to hear that. Frankly, I thought the compact was a better gun, my only concern is the trigger. No one seems to have one for rent and it appears to be heavier (7lbs) in reviews. However, if you can work on it to make it "right", that would be a viable solution.

Many thanks!

<TED>
    The trigger is a much better than the full size and it you can easily do a trigger job on it.

C4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast