Thread: Using a buffer to get buffed

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Using a buffer to get buffed

An article by Matt S on the use of a buffer (yup, your basic Ryobi buffer you'd find at Home Depot) to boost recovery time. I have been using one since he showed me this method, and it's helped with some tight areas foam rolling and other methods didn't help.

Buff to get Buffer – The foam rolling game changer that will boost your recovery in a fraction of the time
    By Matt Stranberg

Whether you are a serious athlete seeking improved sports performance or a casual weekend warrior crushing cathartic heavy deadlifts, most veteran gym goers understand that the iron game is a long term investment. The key to success is accumulating hours of consistent quality stimulation over a long period of time.

A serious impediment to obtaining this aforementioned goal is suboptimal tissue quality and impaired movement. In recent years, self myofascial release and foam rolling have swept the strength training community as a means to ameliorate these deficits. Although the science regarding foam rolling remains a contentious issue, many practitioners and athletes consider the practice a staple of proper recovery. Although this article will not discuss the background and science of foam rolling, as the Brink Zone includes innumerable resources concerning the topic, it will instead introduce a new potent tool for your extensive recovery arsenal.

Time to get Buff

One day during a training session, a good friend of mine revealed a car buffer from his training bag. Although I started laughing, as it was typical for this avid engineer to regularly carry spare tools. What did surprise me however, was when he instructed me to apply the device to my adductors. At first I was skeptical, but with some enticing I positioned my foot upon a bench and began to buff the inner portions of my leg. Fighting the urge to pull away, I was instantly stunned by the precise intensity of the pressure. Despite its common use as a car polisher, the newly repurposed tool now functioned as a Brookstone massage wand on steroids. After a few concentrated strokes across the length of my adductors, I instantly experienced relief. My friend began to smile as he realized my astonished delight and subsequent excitement. Soon I was buffing my pecs, traps, quads, calves, and any other area that I could reach. It appeared that this tool provided an enhanced self myofascial release in a fraction of the time. Before I could recommend the tool to my fellow friends and clients I decided to experiment for a month. The results were absolutely tremendous and I expressed to my friend the possibility of marketing a new product. Together we began to research and soon discovered that similar to many other fitness “discoveries,” we were not truly original in our self massage epiphanies.

It appears that Clint Darden and Brett Summers had discovered the massage technique years ago but were largely unnoticed. Their original article can be read here. In relation to introductory self myofascial release techniques, this guide can be viewed in conjunction with Mike Robertson’s PDF here for added completeness.

So, instead of plagiarizing these articles, claiming the discovery for ourselves, as seems to be the standard in the fitness industry, I have decided to detail my experiences with the buffer and my opinion of related applications.

Cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/injuries/bu...n-of-the-time/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    WB,

That is, without a shadow of doubt one of the top ten posts I've ever read on the Internet. Kudos.
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGunNut View Post
    WB,

That is, without a shadow of doubt one of the top ten posts I've ever read on the Internet. Kudos.

I don't know about that, but thanx. I will tell you, the buffer really helps in ways things like foam rollers, etc don't.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Come on....give yourself some credit.

"enhanced self myofascial release in a fraction of the time"

I could write an entire South Park season from that one line.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGunNut View Post
    Come on....give yourself some credit.

"enhanced self myofascial release in a fraction of the time"

I could write an entire South Park season from that one line.

But, I didn't write it.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just saw Matt's byline, my bad. Still top ten!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cool idea. Luckily my fiancee is a licensed massage therapist so I have no need of this wonderful buffer trick. There is one massage device in my arsenal that I couldn't live without though. It's called the Dolphin and I picked it up on clearance at Frye's Electronics for $14.99 a couple of years back. It's a percussion massager, is not made in China, is super heavy-duty, and allows you to easily hit those spots that need extra attention. It looks like this one:

http://www.the3q.com/3q-tap-massager/

...and it's probably the best $15 I've ever spent. Try one, I promise that you'll like it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Cool idea. Luckily my fiancee is a licensed massage therapist so I have no need of this wonderful buffer trick. There is one massage device in my arsenal that I couldn't live without though. It's called the Dolphin and I picked it up on clearance at Frye's Electronics for $14.99 a couple of years back. It's a percussion massager, is not made in China, is super heavy-duty, and allows you to easily hit those spots that need extra attention. It looks like this one:

http://www.the3q.com/3q-tap-massager/

...and it's probably the best $15 I've ever spent. Try one, I promise that you'll like it.
    The rotary buffers is essentially that thing and the ilk on steroids for the same or less $$$. My prior experience dating massage therapists was it was the best way not to get a massages as that was the last thing they wanted to do once work was over. Glad your experience differs!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    An article by Matt S on the use of a buffer (yup, your basic Ryobi buffer you'd find at Home Depot) to boost recovery time. I have been using one since he showed me this method, and it's helped with some tight areas foam rolling and other methods didn't help.

Buff to get Buffer – The foam rolling game changer that will boost your recovery in a fraction of the time
    By Matt Stranberg

Whether you are a serious athlete seeking improved sports performance or a casual weekend warrior crushing cathartic heavy deadlifts, most veteran gym goers understand that the iron game is a long term investment. The key to success is accumulating hours of consistent quality stimulation over a long period of time.

A serious impediment to obtaining this aforementioned goal is suboptimal tissue quality and impaired movement. In recent years, self myofascial release and foam rolling have swept the strength training community as a means to ameliorate these deficits. Although the science regarding foam rolling remains a contentious issue, many practitioners and athletes consider the practice a staple of proper recovery. Although this article will not discuss the background and science of foam rolling, as the Brink Zone includes innumerable resources concerning the topic, it will instead introduce a new potent tool for your extensive recovery arsenal.

Time to get Buff

One day during a training session, a good friend of mine revealed a car buffer from his training bag. Although I started laughing, as it was typical for this avid engineer to regularly carry spare tools. What did surprise me however, was when he instructed me to apply the device to my adductors. At first I was skeptical, but with some enticing I positioned my foot upon a bench and began to buff the inner portions of my leg. Fighting the urge to pull away, I was instantly stunned by the precise intensity of the pressure. Despite its common use as a car polisher, the newly repurposed tool now functioned as a Brookstone massage wand on steroids. After a few concentrated strokes across the length of my adductors, I instantly experienced relief. My friend began to smile as he realized my astonished delight and subsequent excitement. Soon I was buffing my pecs, traps, quads, calves, and any other area that I could reach. It appeared that this tool provided an enhanced self myofascial release in a fraction of the time. Before I could recommend the tool to my fellow friends and clients I decided to experiment for a month. The results were absolutely tremendous and I expressed to my friend the possibility of marketing a new product. Together we began to research and soon discovered that similar to many other fitness “discoveries,” we were not truly original in our self massage epiphanies.

It appears that Clint Darden and Brett Summers had discovered the tissue massage technique years ago but were largely unnoticed. Their original article can be read here. In relation to introductory self myofascial release techniques, this guide can be viewed in conjunction with Mike Robertson’s PDF here for added completeness.

So, instead of plagiarizing these articles, claiming the discovery for ourselves, as seems to be the standard in the fitness industry, I have decided to detail my experiences with the buffer and my opinion of related applications.

Cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/injuries/bu...n-of-the-time/
    Does it has any side effect??

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Are we talking rotary or orbit?

I'd think a rotary would tear you up.