Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass layoff prep

Feedback Score

Mass layoff prep

I'm not sure if this is the right forum so, mods, please move if need be.

Hypothetically, you're a manager at a firm with an impending mass layoff planned, what precautions would you take to ensure your personal security under the circumstances below?

Company is headquartered very close to recent mass-riot events.
    Employees know it's coming but don't know who's impacted.
    You don't have any concerns about anyone that works directly for you.
    Primary concern is the unknown...
    There is a decent security presence at said firm but they're not visibly armed.
    Company policies don't allow for carry.
    Since you're mgt, you have to be there.
    Security plan of firm has not been communicated to managers.

What would you do to look after yourself first and foremost in this situation?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That compact M&P pistol comes to mind. You can deep conceal that sucker. Short of that... those ballistic panels that can be placed in a brief case or back pack offer protection to vitals should someone go postal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In addition to being very vigilant, I'd carry a gun very discreetly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I concealed a glock 19 w/ spare magazine unnoticed in a smartcarry for so long that it wore out. Highly recommended.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    Good call on the ballistic panel. Hope I can justify that to the wife... I'm good on the other front? How about travel to and from work? Backup supplies in vehicle and desk?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Travel door lock in your desk drawer. If shooting starts, you want to get behind a closed and locked door. Banging it out in a cube farm would be my very last choice.
    Something like this -
    http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...door-lock.html

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    It's a total cube farm. What offices there are have frosted glass and auto-sensing lights.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    So in planning a mass layoff, do these employees know it's going to happen yet? Seems like you are taking a big step in personal safety for just a manager. I don't know, it seems like an awful lot of foreshadowing.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score

Mass layoff prep

Karma is a bitch... Often those who implement the first one get their own axe during the second round.

Get yourself a nice leather folio and put both an AR500 plate and an updated resume in it.

Update: I would not be concerned about somebody getting postal during a generic layoff unless there is more involved.

Laid off workers will loose their access to the building so regular building security should suffice while you are inside. If you have an outside unsecured parking lot, I would call a cab to the entrance on that day, or arranged for a shuttle for the whole execution/tive team.
    Last edited by polosatik; 10-24-14 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would be concerned about leaving the building and getting to my vehicle. I would wear or take clothes similar to line workers and backpack or whatever they use rather than briefcase or laptop carrier. Don't strut around outside as obvious manager type. And leave at odd time, not when everyone rushes out at 5pm. Either leave at 3 or so, or 6:30. Or leave with your work team buddies in a group.

I would also let my team know I will give them recommendations for job apps or other appropriate support to find work.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast