Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Red dots on concealed carry guns - thoughts?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What does any of this have to do with RDS'?

SQUIRREL!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    What does any of this have to do with RDS'?

SQUIRREL!!!
    Sorry for the thread drift. But some of the crap people are spewing here are the kinds of things you see on TOS.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apricotshot View Post
    Sorry for the thread drift. But some of the crap people are spewing here are the kinds of things you see on TOS.
    It happens.

Going from close quarters / retention to extended / sighted fire with a RDS is about the same as transitioning to irons. As you move back and create space you bring the RDS into your focal plane the same way you do irons.

Just like everything there are pros and cons. For some the pros of the RDS outweigh the cons, for others the inverse is true.

Unfortunately it's a costly endeavor to "try out" and see how you like it. I was fortunate enough to get to play with one and I found the benefits of it to be worth experimenting in.

I'm cross dominant and I get a much better sight picture shooting both eyes open with the RDS than I do irons but for me I had troubles getting the first shot off as fast as I did with irons. With more dedicated practice I could overcome that, but my time for such has was limited (been working more on physical conditioning & H2H) so I reverted back to irons.

One thing about the RDS, it will show you exactly how much slop you have in your presentation until you work at it a lot and the dot starts showing up where it's supposed to every time. The rear sight behind the RDS may help with this and has been reported to by some, but I have not tried that set up so I don't know but it makes sense.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    lol so people who get shot stop what they are doing and fall down and stop? Ask Darren Wilson that.
    Who is alive and well today? Brown or Wilson? He shot the bad guy to the ground, exactly what you are supposed to do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What are talking about. I've seen people shot close range with handgun rounds. You can't see anything. So how are you going to walk your rounds on something when it give you no feedback?
    Who said anything about walking rounds in? this is about recognizing that sight picture is often blurry, obscured, incomplete, and knowing where your gun is pointed kinestheticly is of more import when targets are close. Then from there like I said in my first post putting the target within the sight hood and pressing the trigger lands hits fast and with acceptable accuracy. Past that the RMR is a brilliant aiming device.

If people don't react to being shot, what benefit is looking down my sights when firing on them instead of point shooting them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
    Who is alive and well today? Brown or Wilson? He shot the bad guy to the ground, exactly what you are supposed to do.
    You really need to read the timeline and report.

Feedback Score
    Point shooting is all walking rounds in by definition. In that video posted you can see that is exactly what he is doing. He is seeing his hits and correcting. Something he self admittedly practices a lot but still has to see his hits to correct. Every trainer that I've talked to that has shot another person has said that they saw the serrations of the front sight post while they were pulling the trigger. People like Scotty Rietz, Kyle Lamb and others have said as much. Just because some people get lucky and happen to land goods hits before the other guy doesn't make it a good system to use. I rather use sound training instead or relying on luck and happenstance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just because some people get lucky and happen to land goods hits before the other guy doesn't make it a good system to use. I rather use sound training instead or relying on luck and happenstance.

you should go to a force on force class. And I reiterate you are dismissive of something that you are ignorant about.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    you should go to a force on force class. And I reiterate you are dismissive of something that you are ignorant about.
    I have. I usually do pretty well too because I aimed with sights and people tried to point shoot.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    I have. I usually do pretty well too because I aimed with sights and people tried to point shoot.
    I doubt that since it is clear that you don't even understand what point shooting is. It certainly is NOT "walking rounds into a target". That's a laugh.

I don't know who you did FoF with, but when I have done it, those who stood still or "duckwalked" searching for a good two handed grip and sight picture got wasted fast. Sorry, but when both parties are in motion (and if there are multiple bad guys, as there often are), acquiring that perfect sight picture doesn't happen. If it does, that means bad guy 2 deals with you while you are dealing with #1.

Whatever. I shared with the OP my knowledge based on my experience with the RMR. Beyond that, I see this thread going to no sensible place.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast