Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PMC Bronze Vs Wolf Gold .223?

Feedback Score
    I haven't shot PMC in a long time and won't buy it picking even Wolf steel cased over it. PMC is the only ammo that I've ever seen the case head separate. 5 rounds out of 100 with visible cracks in 11 more. My Mini is admittedly hard on cases but PMC is still junk. It's never ripped rims off of any other ammo from Wolf, Brown Bear, Privi, Winchester, Remington, Federal, American Eagle, Israeli surplus, Radway, or anything else that I just can't remember. I have no faith in a case that won't hold together when every other brand has.

MAC did a review on Wolf Gold sometime ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7GB6RD4kI. A 1.5" 10 shot group was shown by MAC with a MR 556 and a 3045 fps average out of the same 16" barrel. It's loaded more to Nato spec than .223. The cases have sealant and are also annealed. I started reloading so I only buy ammo now when it's an insanely good deal. I picked up some Wolf Gold awhile ago at $295 for 1000 from Wideners and have had no problems with it at all. I probably have 20-40 rounds left. I would have bought more but I finally found some powder and primers so I went back to reloading.
    Appeasement is never the answer in the face of naked aggression.

Feedback Score
    I didn't see this thread until now. I am not sure if the OP is still curious. But here is some of my recent chrono data (10 shots each). This is all recent production ammo tested on the same day (about 65 to 70 degrees), same gun, same chrono set up, etc. This is out of a 16" barrel (an AR Performance 1:8 hybrid 5R Melonite/nitride barrel if it matters to you).

PMC Bronze 55gr FMJ
    average velocity - 2622 FPS
    extreme spread -108
    standard deviation - 20

Wolf Gold 55gr FMJ
    average velocity - 3030 FPS
    extreme spread - 28
    standard deviation - 10

Federal XM193 55gr FMJ
    average velocity - 3062
    extreme spread - 70
    standard deviation - 23

CBC Magtech 77gr OTM (MK262 Mod 1 clone)
    average velocity - 2629
    extreme spread - 121
    standard deviation - 30

My informal accuracy tests (at 100 yards) for both PMC and Wolf Gold in this gun shows them to be about the same. It is excellent for both.

I didn't test the XM193 or CBC Magtech for accuracy in this gun on this day.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 11-06-14 at 03:38.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    JM, that is great. Thanks a lot.

If you remember, what kind of groups were you getting with the Gold ammo?

If the weather is good, I may try to get out this weekend and get some un-scientific accuracy data out of a basic PSA 1:7 CL barrel.
    Around what Tom reported above, or a little better?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I am
    Hoping for some good Black Friday sales. Saving those pennies

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post

If the weather is good, I may try to get out this weekend and get some un-scientific accuracy data out of a basic PSA 1:7 CL barrel.
    I think you can get a bit tighter grouping. I used a Burris MTAC when I got that group. 2.4 moa dot at a 100yds. With a fine plex I think it would shrink a bit.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Has anyone noticed the Blue Film left behind in the Bore and Muzzle Device from PMC Bronze .223? I don't notice that crap with any other ammo I'm shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the Blue Film left behind in the Bore and Muzzle Device from PMC Bronze .223? I don't notice that crap with any other ammo I'm shooting.
    That's just the unburnt kimchi.

On a seriously note. I have not. Then again it has been a while since I shot PMC in my ARs.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    That's just the unburnt kimchi.

On a seriously note. I have not. Then again it has been a while since I shot PMC in my ARs.
    LOL!!! That was a good one!

But no really I'm just wondering if that crap would cause corrosion, more so than just the standard black carbon left behind from other ammo. That blue junk is a PITA to remove inside the Muzzle Device. It doesn't happen when I shoot M193/855, Mk262, FGMM, AE .223 55gr etc.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I agree with PMC bronze not having as much velocity as Wolf Gold. I also found the brass not being ejected as far as almost anything else. Rifle was BCM 16" middy. Shooting prone, PMC brass got maybe a couple feet, where everything else got thrown quite a bit further.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post

I think it was right about 2" at 100 yards. I know that may not sound very good. But that was excellent for me, with that gun/optic, on that day, etc.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 11-08-14 at 18:07.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast