Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PMC Bronze Vs Wolf Gold .223?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    LOL!!! That was a good one!

But no really I'm just wondering if that crap would cause corrosion, more so than just the standard black carbon left behind from other ammo. That blue junk is a PITA to remove inside the Muzzle Device. It doesn't happen when I shoot M193/855, Mk262, FGMM, AE .223 55gr etc.
    Am out at the moment so this be quick. But could be reaction between cleaning solvent and copper. Will make more guesses in this regard as soon as i get home.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LOL!!! That was a good one!

But no really I'm just wondering if that crap would cause corrosion, more so than just the standard black carbon left behind from other ammo. That blue junk is a PITA to remove inside the Muzzle Device. It doesn't happen when I shoot M193/855, Mk262, FGMM, AE .223 55gr etc.
    Okay, I am back and did check one of my rifles that has been more PMC Bronze recently than the others. Did appear that perhaps there might be some pale blue residue at the muzzle near the flash hider, though it could have been just the light and soot that had built up. Now I did have a similar thing going on with one of my BCMs the other week, but it was more of a green residue. My thoughts at the time, and still are, that it was just copper fouling that took on a patina due to the solvent used wit clean the bore out. I know some will turn the fouling blue or greenish if I am remembering correctly so that was my assumption. The one with the green residue cleaned up fine and doesn't show any at the moment following being cleaned last time. Won't be this time, but I have a baggy of PMC Bronze that is on the rotation to be shot up, will run through it and before cleaning inspect my BCM and see if I see the same thing. Will likely be a couple weeks before I get the chance though.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Has anyone noticed the Blue Film left behind in the Bore and Muzzle Device from PMC Bronze .223? I don't notice that crap with any other ammo I'm shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Am out at the moment so this be quick. But could be reaction between cleaning solvent and copper. Will make more guesses in this regard as soon as i get home.
    Have shot PMC a LOT of the past couple years.
    I have had 1 experience with the green residue.
    The entire inside of my rifle turned green.....
    Also from time to time I find that after cleaning, there will be a little green residue on the inside of the FH.
    After my whole rifle turned green I freaked out and posted a thread here about it...

Apparently it is a thing with either the copper residue + burnt powder reacting to moisture, or potentially a cleaning solvent like Hoppes reacting to the copper.
    No big deal apparently- should clean right off. Being my picky self though, I wouldn't let it sit for long in that condition...

You may find these two threads helpful;

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...esidue-on-bolt
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ded-New-Update
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    When you say green residue, is this what you are referring to? If so, complete normal from some ammo.

STCK0710-1-A-1200-Stick by stickgunner, on Flickr

Photo courtesy of Stickman.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 11-09-14 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Have shot PMC a LOT of the past couple years.
    I have had 1 experience with the green residue.
    The entire inside of my rifle turned green.....
    Also from time to time I find that after cleaning, there will be a little green residue on the inside of the FH.
    After my whole rifle turned green I freaked out and posted a thread here about it...

Apparently it is a thing with either the copper residue + burnt powder reacting to moisture, or potentially a cleaning solvent like Hoppes reacting to the copper.
    No big deal apparently- should clean right off. Being my picky self though, I wouldn't let it sit for long in that condition...

You may find these two threads helpful;

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...esidue-on-bolt
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ded-New-Update
    I use hoppes so that would seem to be a good chance that the Hoppes and the fact that my basement was humid during that period could have caused a reaction in the gun to great some green residue. Though, as I said, it cleaned up fine and function and accuracy was not effected so no worries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    When you say green residue, is this what you are referring to? If so, complete normal from some ammo.

STCK0710-1-A-1200-Stick by stickgunner, on Flickr

Photo courtesy of Stickman.
    Yes, kind of, but not to that extent, likely because at the time the rifle only had a couple hundred rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    I've shot and have a lot of both, still. I haven't chrono'd any of it, but I find as far as accuracy goes, generally the Wolf Gold is more accurate, however not in every rifle. I have one that really loves it, and a couple where the Wolf and PMC are about the same, and another that shoots the Wolf 3" at 100 and the PMC at about 1.5" or so at 100yds.
    Similar to bolt action hunting guns, where one rifle will love one load, and another in the same caliber will spit it all over the place.
    J
    Last edited by jbylake; 11-09-14 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Yes, kind of, but not to that extent, likely because at the time the rifle only had a couple hundred rounds through it.
    Good god man, where did you store your rifle afterwards? That blue residue, as mentioned by a previous posted is oxidized copper (think the Statue of Liberty)...

I vote Wolff Gold... I've shot a ton of both and the Wolff is heads and shoulders above the PMC. That reminds me.. about time to buy another couple of cases.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Good god man, where did you store your rifle afterwards? That blue residue, as mentioned by a previous posted is oxidized copper (think the Statue of Liberty)...

I vote Wolff Gold... I've shot a ton of both and the Wolff is heads and shoulders above the PMC. That reminds me.. about time to buy another couple of cases.
    In my gun safe, in my basement. At the time we had some issues with humidity though so that was likely the issue. Have since resolved that particular issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Was looking at order a 1,000 box of .223 rounds soon

I have shot PMC fine but it is OOS right now

But I run across this Wolf Gold and it's $15 less (295 for PMC 280 for Wolf Gold 1K Box) and I was wanting to know more.

Also my gun is new so I feel uncomfortable ordering a thousand rounds of something that I have not shot before.

But the price is really good for 1K

Hmmm .. to wait for PMC to be back in stock or try my luck on the Wolf?
    Current Arms:
    - BCM 16" ELW w/13" KMR on Spikes Lower AR-15
    - Arsenal Bulgarian SAM7R AK47
    - CZ Shadow 2
    - CZ P-10c FDE
    - CZ EVO 3 Carbine FDE
    - Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield
    - Sig P365
    - Walther Arms PPQ M2 9mm
    - Ruger Precision Rifle .308
    - Beretta A300 Outlander 12G Shotgun
    - And other stuff I can't talk about