Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of 5.56 ammo are you guys using to train with? (Carbine Courses)

Feedback Score
    I've been shooting a lot of the Silver Bear 55gr JSP and 62gr JHP lately (about 3000 rounds in the last year, including just shy of 1100 at a carbine course last month). Had a couple failures to fire (light strikes) but no other issues. Seems to be loaded hotter than Wolf, and the zinc plated cases make for smoother extraction than the powder-coated or lacquered variety.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Barnaul/Brown Bear 62 gr. FMJ or JHP, specifically with the laquered case.

The stuff is higher quality and a little hotter than typical Tula or Ulyanovsk (Wolf).
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post

The stuff is higher quality and a little hotter than typical Tula or Ulyanovsk (Wolf).
    Does the steel case beat your extractor up?

I shoot wolf and tiger and bear through the AK but have never shot anything but brass cases through the ARs.

Feedback Score

Wolf all the way

Okay, guys, beat me up but I have run M193, M855 in clases and the last couple (Bushmater Carbine instructor course at Blackwater, Intermediate Pistol at Bill Rogers school , 9mm Carbine at Rogers) used Wolf 5.56 55 gr Polymer and 9mm 115 gr. No ammo isuses with 2500 rds at Blackwater . Ran my Bushy M4gery without cleaning till it stopped. Went 1900+ round sbefore I stuck a case. only ammo malfunction I had, ripped the rim right off. Rodded it out, scrubbed the chamber and finished the course. I deliberately didnt clean the weapon to see how long it would go since I heard so many horror stories about Wolf. last day we shot on KD range; 200-300 M. I was banging at 12" square steel plate at 300M every time witht he Wolf and an ACOG TA11.

9mm is super stuff. never fails, never quits. shot Bill Rogers school in June. 3000 rounds; 2500 in M9 and 500 through 9mm AR. no issues at all.

At the prices the 5.56 has been, I bought a crap load of Wolf at less than 200 per 1000. I have M193 for serious business but for practice, WOLF is it.

Bout 7 years ago I did a BW cousre and shot M855 and SA battle packs. Everyone pooh poohed WOLF. Of course that was back when it was lacquered steel.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by highdraglowspeed View Post
    Does the steel case beat your extractor up?

I shoot wolf and tiger and bear through the AK but have never shot anything but brass cases through the ARs.

Nope, no issues. I used to be one of the guys that preached that steel cases were for Russian designed weapons, but I haven't had any issued out of my Colt.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I agree 100%. Barnaul/Brown Bear is great stuff for practice!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    M855(mostly) / Mk262Mod1(rarely) if on Uncle Sugar's dime.
    M193/Prvi 77gr if on mine.

I just can't bring myself to shoot Wolf. I feel like I am neglecting a child.

I have also heard that everytime you shoot Wolf out of a quality AR, Kim Jong Il kicks a puppy.
    Think of the puppies.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For classes it's (been) XM193.

Matches and drills it's some variety of Wolf. I prefer the 62 grain FMJ over everything else, but I'm going to order 2k of the 75 grain stuff and if it works out well I'll order another 3k.

I've been shooting the 7.62x39 AK for all of 2008. I just looked in my ammo locker two days ago and saw that I'm down to 1500 XM193, although I know that I have at least another 2k of the Prvi version somewhere. I just can't bring myself to restock at $400+/k.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have a good source for that? I picked up a couple k awhile back of the Barnaul bt I wouldn't be opposed to getting more. I like that it's 62 grain.

Feedback Score

Duplicate post, see below.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast