Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5 Commando build question

Feedback Score

11.5 Commando build question

I would really like an all Colt 11.5 A2 style rifle. I want the M4A1 CARBINE roll mark, so first, will a complete 6920SOCOM rifle still feature this roll mark? Does Colt still make A2 carry handle 11.5 uppers and are they for sale from reputable dealers?

I would like a forward assist, don't really care about the style of of deflector. Is this possible to keep all Colt including building from parts or am I going to need to start with an Aero precision A2 with FA?

Thanks!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...n&key=SOCOMLWR

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...42/photo-4.jpg

Feedback Score
    after some calling around, i realized what im asking here lol. i did find this wikipedia page that lists a lot of the colt ar's, specs, and model #/name. i think im going to hunt for used A1's with carbine gas and cut one down, try and copy something that i think is the m733?

450px-Colt_Model_733.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_v...ivilian_models

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A colt 733 uses A1 sights on the carry handle.

A colt 738 uses A2 sights on the carry handle.

Finding a Colt 738 upper will be difficult.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t15 View Post
    I would really like an all Colt 11.5 A2 style rifle. I want the M4A1 CARBINE roll mark, so first, will a complete 6920SOCOM rifle still feature this roll mark? Does Colt still make A2 carry handle 11.5 uppers and are they for sale from reputable dealers?

I would like a forward assist, don't really care about the style of of deflector. Is this possible to keep all Colt including building from parts or am I going to need to start with an Aero precision A2 with FA?

Thanks!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...n&key=SOCOMLWR

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...42/photo-4.jpg
    What did you end up doing?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Tagged. I've always want a similar build but in the old A1 triangle handguards. Is this even possible these days?
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    classically i shelved the idea to think it over some more and missed out. i got an email alert this post was bumped today and i concluded that all i really care about is the a1/c7 style upper and went to buy. at the time, dpms was making a stripped a1 with forward assist for $60. as of tonight i cant find anyone making one or selling them anywhere.

i did find this, only 3 left. someone please buy these so i can put the idea to rest and hope to find a used rifle in a lgs somewhere..

http://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-custo...l#.VfjwsRFVhBc

anyone want to sell me a c7 upper for a fair price, send me a PM.

(posting a wtb now)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A1/C7 upper receivers are very hard to come by these days. They have become more "in demand" since the retro craze has really taken off the past few years. The upper assembly you show would be a good choice to get the A1/C7 upper you want. You can always sell off the barrel assembly and the handguards and keep them for future use. If you want to use the barrel, you would most likely have to have it re-profiled to .625" and get a corresponding .625" FSB installed if you want it to be correct. If not worried about being exactly correct, you may be able to have the barrel cut down to 11.5" and have it rethreaded. One thing you will need to do is find a large head forward assist for it to be a correct 733 setup. These are also hard to find these days. You could get away with a standard round forward assist. The CAR 6-hole handguards are out there. I have a couple connections that may have a set or two. A repro fiberlite CAR stock is available from Model 1 Sales (kit w/ 4-pos. buffer tube) and M&A (stock body only). The 733 did use a 2-pos. buffer tube like the 723 and the XM177. These are available from Nodak Spud. As for the lower receiver, you will see them mostly with A1 lowers, but some of the late models may have had an A2 lower.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Sent a couple of IM's.
    Colt M733 uppers are out there for sale if you look. If need be, I can get you some reference pics of one. ;-)
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    Sent a couple of IM's.
    Colt M733 uppers are out there for sale if you look. If need be, I can get you some reference pics of one. ;-)
    You would have to look very hard. I did a search for Colt Model 733 and Colt Commando uppers and came up with nothing. You will be looking for an A1/C7 upper receiver, a 11.5" lightweight barrel (.625" at FSB), round forward assist (large head if you can find one), A1 port door, Delta ring, A2 FH, A2 pistol grip, A1 lower receiver, fiberlite CAR stock, 2-pos. buffer tube, standard carbine buffer and spring, and early style castle nut. Nodak Spud, like I said, has the lower receivers, 2-pos. buffer tube, and repro early castle nut. BCM does have a 11.5" lightweight barrel (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...11lw%20std.htm). There are some .625" FSBs available, many of which are F marked. You may be able to find an original .625" FSB by asking around on various other forums.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I walked around a gun show asking if anyone had an A2 upper. One guy said he did and mailed it to me for $50. Ended up being an A1 from Colt Harvey Forge.

Score!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast