Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat 300 HAMR versus other options?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wilson Combat 300 HAMR versus other options?

Wilson Combat 300 HAMR Ranger

I'm looking for a "ranch rifle" in something more potent than a 5.56 and not as heavy as a 308Win option. I want to avoid specialized bolts and magazines but, those are not hard requirements. I'm initially thinking factory available ammunition options but, "light" Wildcats are a possibility having looked at the 7mm Raptor thinking the 257 Ocelot is a bit light. I am looking for an effective 200-yard capability against feral hogs.

The 300 HAMR shooting 130's or 150's looks to be a top choice and there are strong vocal arguments for things like the 6.8SPC and 6.5Grendel but, I have come full circle back to a classic AR-15 non-piston 5.56 derivative running >2000+ FPS being preferred. Wilson Combat looks like a good turn key factory option but, a 7mm Raptor can be sourced for similar money so is a viable alternative though "factory" ammunition isn't an option.

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have no idea why you would want an expensive wildcat cartridge used by no one for a ranch rifle.

Don’t reinvent the wheel. At most grab a 6.8 or better yet invest in nice ammo for a 5.56 basic AR.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I have no idea why you would want an expensive wildcat cartridge used by no one for a ranch rifle.

Don’t reinvent the wheel. At most grab a 6.8 or better yet invest in nice ammo for a 5.56 basic AR.
    6.8SPC rounds don't stack well in an AR-15 magazine and while not a wildcat round has not been seen on the shelf where I live for over two years. Same for the 6.5 Grendel and 458 Socom. They are also horrendously expensive right now if you can find them. 300 HAMR isn't cheap but, it is available at an acceptable price in today's market and I can always roll my own if I can find primers and appropriate powder from my 5.56 brass.

5.56 works well on dogs but, shooting feral hogs with one, especially on the run, is not effective for me. Sure I can snipe one with a 5.56 but, what about all the others?

A lot of people extol the virtues of the 300 Blackout but, I have mixed feelings about it. The 300 HAMR has more 'gas in the tank' and will drive heavy bullets better with a more appropriate barrel twist. A 300 HAMR will also suppress well with my existing can.

Feedback Score
    Honestly I’d stick with a .308! Doesn’t sound like you reload & going for an oddball caliber is never ideal & much less so if you aren’t prepared to just load your one ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow” Chuck Colson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    A lot of people extol the virtues of the 300 Blackout but, I have mixed feelings about it. The 300 HAMR has more 'gas in the tank' and will drive heavy bullets better with a more appropriate barrel twist. A 300 HAMR will also suppress well with my existing can.
    I don't think the .300 HAM'R will chamber in a 5.56 AR and KABOOM it, like .300 BLK will. I don't see the point of .300 BLK apart from a dedicated subsonic gun where it excels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have little desire for a 300 BLK, and even less for an oddball 300 Ham’r.

If it’s a ranch rifle, then you don’t really need more than a couple magazines for it, so that’s hardly a serious detriment for the 6.8 or 6.5.

People still make purchase decisions based on what they can buy by walking into a store? I, and pretty much everyone I know buys ammo online in large enough quantities to always have some in stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I don't think the .300 HAM'R will chamber in a 5.56 AR and KABOOM it, like .300 BLK will. I don't see the point of .300 BLK apart from a dedicated subsonic gun where it excels.
    A 300 shines in an sbr shooting supers in my humble opinion. Especially if suppressed. A 110 Barnes and a 77 SMK are very similar velocities out of a 9" 300 and a 11.5 556, but the energy isn't even close. Now you get outside of 2-300 yards and I agree that a more flat shooting 556 is better. I know everyone has their opinions and if all I had was a sbr 556 suppressed I wouldn't feel shorted. But I have both and am glad for it. As for the OP, I am not sure how a 556 with a 50 0r 55 gr tsx wouldn't hammer any thing you want it to hammer. if you want to go wildcat, you don't need to convince us, you need to convince your wife. Buy what you want, I do, but I've learned over the years that if I have to try and convince myself of something than I really don't need it. Annnnd I usually still bought it so I can't say much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    A 300 shines in an sbr shooting supers in my humble opinion. Especially if suppressed. A 110 Barnes and a 77 SMK are very similar velocities out of a 9" 300 and a 11.5 556, but the energy isn't even close. Now you get outside of 2-300 yards and I agree that a more flat shooting 556 is better. I know everyone has their opinions and if all I had was a sbr 556 suppressed I wouldn't feel shorted. But I have both and am glad for it. As for the OP, I am not sure how a 556 with a 50 0r 55 gr tsx wouldn't hammer any thing you want it to hammer. if you want to go wildcat, you don't need to convince us, you need to convince your wife. Buy what you want, I do, but I've learned over the years that if I have to try and convince myself of something than I really don't need it. Annnnd I usually still bought it so I can't say much.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, and now even .300 HAM'R are all significantly more powerful, with the latter having easy to source brass, standard bolt compatibility, and polymer magazines. If not for its subsonic prowess how does the BLACKOUT shine over these?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I don't see enough posts acknowledging the benefits of 300 blk supers out of an SBR. In a 5-8" barrel, 5.56 is neutered, often unreliable, the flash and sound make it difficult to deal with, especially in a home defense situation. In 300 blk, you have all updside compared to the short 5.56 outside of cost/ availability, and the option to go suppressed with subs. Any legal defensive uses will occur well in the range of 300 blk. Most hunting happens within 150 yards as far as I can tell. So unless you're doing long distance shooting for fun/ competition or are one of the rare people who shoot that far for hunting purposes, a lot of the downsides people talk about are largely hypothetical. If you think short barrels are useless, that's a different discussion. But performance with supers between the 2 calibers at the shorter barrel lengths isn't much of a debate. The idea that 300 blk is only useful for subs is strange to me as well. If that's all someone cared about, they could save money and go with a pistol caliber. A subsonic 300 blk isn't a rifle cartridge anymore; it's an expensive pistol cartridge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast